Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NAP Razorback BH? >

NAP Razorback BH?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NAP Razorback BH?

Old 02-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default NAP Razorback BH?

I am looking at this head possibly for Moose this fall, maybe deer if I like. Anybody have any experience with the shockwave? How did they shoot vs filed point and other BH' s? Durable? Wound channel, bloddtrail? Easy to tune? What game did you use them on? Do you think I could get away with 100Gr with cut first style, I use carbons (CX300 - 27 1/2). It would be great to set up one head for all game, but i am use to the tinkering. What about on black bear? I have used both 100 and 125 gr. muzzy with no problems on blackie' s. Really anything would be much appreciated.

(BTW, currently use Muzzy 3 blades 100-deer/bear or 125 - moose/elk)

Thanks all.
Old 02-24-2003, 02:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NAP Shockwave BH?

Please learn from my bad decision to use them on elk last year. I took a shot at one of the biggest bulls I have seen in the wild and at the shot he took a step foward and so I hit farther back than I intended to. The arrow stuck out the other side and didn' t completly exit and as mechanicals always do the head didn' t make an entrance wound. So the arrow cloged the the exit wound and there wasn' t an entrance wound to speak of. I tracked that bull for atleast a mile with very very little blood to follow and then I couldn' t find anything. I absolutly believe that had I used a fixed blade head I would have stood a much better chance of finding that elk. The elk would have been able to bleed out from atleast one wound even if the arrow had clogged the exit wound making a better blood trail.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the Muzzies. I' ll never use another mechanical head on anything larger than a deer.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: NAP Razorback BH?

Bulls, that is no good, sorry for the failure and loss. OOOOPPPS sorry I made a mistake, I was looking at the Razorback (Cut first head)... I posted the wrong one[&:]. I appreciate your comments on the shockwave as well. I have changed the topic name to reflect my intend.

Again sorry and appreciate your input.
Old 02-24-2003, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Is this the head you mean? I think 5Shot did a test on it or someone did. Seems like they said it wasn' t all it was cracked up to be... but I' m not positive.

Old 02-24-2003, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, thats the head. Thanks, I' ll try a search for a review.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a copy of my review. I will say that Magnus makes some excellent cut on contact heads, as well as the Phantom heads and steel force. I would recomend any of them over the Razor backs. I see new archery products has an " improved" version this year, it wieghs 125 grns, so maybe it will prove to be better.

Plywood: 2 points
Steel drum: 3 points
Tire: 2 points
Cutting diameter: 3 points
Accuracy: 4 points
Blades: 4 points
Non-Mechanical head: 2 points
Total score: 20 with a blade sharpness rating of A

This is New Archery products latest head. It is a 4blade cut on contact style with a 1 1/8” cutting diameter. It also has the traditional “RazorBack” rotating blade system. The blades actually rotate around the ferule. There are two main blades, and two smaller bleeder blades. They are encased in a composite material, which is wrapped around the main portion of the threaded ferule.
I found the accuracy to be very good, as good as any fixed blade head I have tried. In the plywood test the head penetrated up to the back of the blades, but not going all the way through. I had to dig it out of the plywood, and I did so very carefully. I found that the two small bleeder blades had come loose from the ferrule. It appears as they are just pressed into the body, I am not sure, but once they are out, they are out. I guess you could use some epoxy to glue them back in, but it’s not something I would want to do for my hunting heads. In the tire it penetrated to the back of the blades, stopping short of making it all the way through. I do the tire test before the plywood, and I figure the 4 blade configuration slowed down the penetration, which I have found typical of 4 blade heads with the exception of the Muzzy 100 grain 4 blade. In the steel drum, penetration was very good. The razorback went through the first side with the tip of the main blade sticking out the back. Remember though I had to shoot it without the bleeder blades. Here is where the problem comes in. The tip of the blade was all that was left! They main blade broke into several small pieces, and the composite portion of the ferule was split into 3 pieces. I was not really surprised though. I studied the head prior to testing it, and found some things I thought would be a problem.
Overall the razorback is a sharp good shooting head, but not very durable At 10 dollars a piece I think there are much better choices. There is potential for a very good head here, but it will take some major overhauling to fix some of the problems.

Old 02-24-2003, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks 5 shot, excellent as always. I' ll keep looking and maybe the new design may prove this head to be Ok.

Up till now I have been using 125 gr for moose/elk and switching to 100 gr for deer/bear(mussy 3-blades). I prefer to use 100 grains for deer but have been leary about triing them on bigger game. Am I best to keep switching and tuning?

Any suggestions???
Old 02-24-2003, 10:14 PM

Hi Skeeter,
I guide for Moose and Bear in Canada, and have seen allot of different broadheads come into camp, some good and some not-so-good. One of the most popular and effective that I have seen is the Thunderhead. Had a Moose taken two years ago with this head (100 gr. 65# bow) where the arrow when all the way through and fell out the other side when he took off. He made it about 40 yards before it was all over. Also, I had a guy take a moose with a spitfire 100gr and 60# bow. I was a bit worried about it to start off with, but the arrow went all the way through, and the bull didn' t go 30 yards. I haven' t had anybody shoot the head you are thinking about so I don' t have anything to say about that. Also we get quite a few bears taken each year with Thunderheads. (Seems to be the most popular head with the hunters I have had.) Also lots of expandables too, the big thing is to stay away from the huge cutting diamiater ones. 2" is a little much for black bear. Too much hair and fat for good penatration with those wide cutters. Muzzy is another one that has worked good for us too. But the main thing is to get something that will fly out of your setup. The best broadhead is useless if it dosent fly right. Seen that way too many times to mention!!!
Good luck on your Moose hunt!!!!
Old 02-24-2003, 10:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bearguy, thanks. A number of guys in our group shoot the 125gr thunderheads to, as did I...that was until I found Muzzy. Out of my bow setup they flew much better than my thunderheads did in 125 gr. I have actually dropped down to 100gr for deer and bear(muzzy) and am tickled with the preformance. I am pretty leary of 100 gr and moose, seen & heard some pretty odd stuff with heads in those critters. I may give 100' s a whirl, last fall I just provided the music for the bulls, only thing I shot was a bale at camp for 7 days. Still very fun.
Old 02-25-2003, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

skeeter the 100 grn Muzzys will work fine for moose, elk, deer, bear or any other animal your going to bow hunt. They are very durabable and actually penetrate better than the larger heads.

Quick Reply: NAP Razorback BH?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.