Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Will you teach your children the same way... >

Will you teach your children the same way...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will you teach your children the same way...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will you teach your children the same way...

...as your father or mentor taught you?

MY dad did things a certain way and hehad a pretty unique way of teaching us how to hunt. A lot of it consisted of allowing us to make a lot of mistakes first and learning from them.

He would let us hunt in the wrong spots, at the wrong times until we learned the lesson and the "why not's".

Also, if we killed it, we gutted it and skinned it. He would show us how, a few times but he felt if we were old enough to kill it we were old enough to take care of the rest. He always said the funs over when you pull the trigger............... Boy, there is some truth in that.

My brother does not teach his kids these same lessons. He takes a much kinder more gentle approach.His boy has killed 9 deer and is yet to gut one himself..................he's 12.

I'm not sure what I'll do, but I would like to pass the same lessons on to my kids that Dad passed on to me.............in the same way.

Failure has made me appreciate hunting more than the success has.

What are some of your plans with your children?

Old 05-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-09-2008, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Will you teach your children the same way...

100,000% yes I will try!!!!!!! I wish my dad could teach my daughter but by then he'll be a bit on the older side. I'll let my dad do what ever he thinks though when were out in the woods when the time comes, it will make him feel damn good helping his grand daughter! I have the utmost respect for my dad and his hunting ways and traditions.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your brothers approach, not wrong at all, just different.

Honestly, Ill probably end up somewhere in between.
I guess I will too. It just seems like a lot of parents aresimply handing it to their kids. It's made out sometimes to be pretty easy and I wonder what is lost in that.

The failure and the persistence (sp) that is needed is the best lesson hunting provides imo. Take the failure away and what are we teaching the kids?

I know it's supposed to be fun but at what cost?

Old 05-09-2008, 01:56 PM

Yes 100%!!!They stressed saftey soooo much and you cant stress it enough. They also taught me things about the woods that I would definatly pass on.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:15 PM

Well, my dad got me into hunting, but really he hasnt taught me alot about hunting, i kinda figure it out myself, but now he did teach how to do anything i want on a car or truck. P.S when he hunted there wasnt alot of deer around, now small game, he was probaly the best small game hunter out of my family. so i guess i could learn that type of hunting from him, but not deer hunting. Our styles are different, he like to sit on a log, i want to stay all day in a blind or tree stand.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am in between also, my daughter shot her first spike in 07',, I did all the work but she helped, I made her hold the deer's legs and all of that. She was right there helping the entire time, I guess I will work her into it,I will haveher do a little more with the animal each time and at some point when she can handle a knife without cutting herself I will hand it to her. My dad was kinda like huntingus's to the point he would let you learn from your mistakes....I can tell you this I will help my daughter in every way I can.....If I had a boy it would probably be a tad bitdifferent, but I have two girls and will work them into it.....
Old 05-09-2008, 02:20 PM

My dad never taught me nothing. I just listened to stories from older hunters and reseached it alot online untill I was confident with my ability to find good spots, track them, and etc.... As far as gutting goes I learned that from watching friends gut thier kills, and asking a few questions.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

My dad isn't a bowhunter so any thing that I teach my son will come from me and my life lessons. I'm really lucky in the fact that my son loves the gutting and processing part. I will have to say that I'm a loteasier on my son than my dad was on me. I tell my dad all of the time that he would've never lived through teaching my son to hunt.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:25 PM
Typical Buck

I will teach them not to Go ahead, shoot the doe, and her fawns!hahaha

anyways, my dad didnt start hunting till I was very young. So he was never really taught so what we know we learned on our own. He would always take me hunting but there was still so much he didnt know that we never were that successful. now days though we have learned so much and alot of what we learned we learned together. I am almost caught up to him on total kills by the way.. He really is my best hunting partner, he is only 54 so hopefully we will have alot more hunting to do together. I really dont know what it would be like if I lost him, it would be hard to get back out there without him...

Quick Reply: Will you teach your children the same way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.