Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Time for a Dumb Question >

Time for a Dumb Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time for a Dumb Question

Old 05-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Time for a Dumb Question

To me its freezing off the bull and its hard to bring the pin to the bull. Then you punch the trigger as soon as the pin comes near the bull. (rushing your shot). It happens when shooting at paper not just at an animal.

Its a total mind game. I developed a form of it when I shot in an indoor video league. It sucks!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

If your one to be able to hit skoal cans out to 50 yards, but miss deer at 15 then thats target panic. If you can't pull back on an animal and keep your wits about you to make a good shot, thats target panic. I used to suffer bad from it, but what I do now is do a count down. Basically before I shoot, I go thru a check list in my head.Am I full draw? Is all the weight on my back? Am I looking thru my right eye? Do I have the right pin? Have a picked a spot? Am I starring at that spot? Am I low enough on the animal. Next, Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. (or for trad bows, push the bow to the target slowly).

It sounds like a lot, and I have had deer move on while I have been going thru my steps, but its made all the difference in the world.
I thought that was buck fever
Old 05-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are a number of different forms of it.It is pretty much when you release an arrow before you consciously chose to.As soon as your pin comes close to what you are aiming at you punch the release,you can't get the pin to settle on the bullseye (freezing)an electric shock of adrenaline shoots through your body when you are about to shoot (flinching).It sucks big time!
It actually occurs more frequently with shooters who shoot a lot.When a shooter is more obsessed with hitting what they are aiming at versus their shot sequence and their form negative things can happen.
Having a disciplined shot sequence,relaxing,not being hesitant to let down if every thing isn't perfect,taking plenty of time between shots,making an effort to exagerate your follow through and hold on the area you were aiming at after you have released the arrow are all elements of consistently good shooting.
It's best to have these types of things in place to avoid ever having it! It almost had me give up archery many years ago.