Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Time for a Dumb Question >

Time for a Dumb Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Time for a Dumb Question

Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Default Time for a Dumb Question

What is target panic? Can someone explain it?

I hear alot about it on here, but I haven't ever heard specifically what it is. I kinda get the general idea though.

And Im afraid I may have a bad case of it.[&:]
Old 05-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Time for a Dumb Question

Target Panic is what a deer experiences whenhe looks up in the tree and realizes that you're at full draw, and he's about to be on the business end of a razor-headed arrow.

The ensuing terror is known as "target panic."
Old 05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's like flinching when you shoot a rifle, you anticipate the shot and it throws your accuracy off. That would be my description of it.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Target Panic is what a deer experiences whenhe looks up in the tree and realizes that you're at full draw, and he's about to be on the business end of a razor-headed arrow.

The ensuing terror is known as "target panic."
That's the good kind. The bad kind is more of a blind desire to let loose on you arrow when you should be calming down and settling in. It's a mental battle.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM
bigcountry

If your one to be able to hit skoal cans out to 50 yards, but miss deer at 15 then thats target panic. If you can't pull back on an animal and keep your wits about you to make a good shot, thats target panic. I used to suffer bad from it, but what I do now is do a count down. Basically before I shoot, I go thru a check list in my head.Am I full draw? Is all the weight on my back? Am I looking thru my right eye? Do I have the right pin? Have a picked a spot? Am I starring at that spot? Am I low enough on the animal. Next, Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze the trigger. (or for trad bows, push the bow to the target slowly).

It sounds like a lot, and I have had deer move on while I have been going thru my steps, but its made all the difference in the world.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like most have said on here. From what I experienced, a mental battle with the target, pin, and release. Concentrating too much on keeping the pin right on the exact dot, which usually magnifies your pin "float," and as such results in anticpated trigger pull (punch).
Old 05-09-2008, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have target anxiety.. that is I'm always anxious to shoot at something.. but often times nothing is around.. so I draw my bow and pretend I'm drawing on an animal and possibly experiencing target panic while at full draw but in reality I'm just anxious to draw my bow so it's really not target panic at all.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

It's like flinching when you shoot a rifle, you anticipate the shot and it throws your accuracy off. That would be my description of it.
X3

I would call it buck fever when your shooting at game

Quick Reply: Time for a Dumb Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.