Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are your woods creepy? >

Are your woods creepy?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are your woods creepy?

Old 05-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Are your woods creepy?

I really don't particularly like hiking in the dark at any point, but I know there is nothing in the woods in PA or NY that can hurt me so I do it anyway.

The creepiest thing about my property is my Aunt's house that is currently abandoned but still kept up.We occasionally stay in it when there are too many people to fitin my cabin. We also shower there every morning before getting into the woods since my camp doesn't have running water. The original owners of the house built it as a vacation home in the late 1800's, and it is complete with servants quarters, 7 bedrooms, and 8 fireplaces. The son of the original owners hung himself in the attic, and to this day he has a small room in the attic space that hasn't been disturbed since his death and has all of his books, smoking pipes, pictures pinned to the walls, and old legal citations from where he got into trouble pressed into a large book. Dan and I slept in this house every weekend one season when we hunted there, but now that I built my camp I don't stay there unless we have a party of more than 3 guys. I have stayed in this house alone one night and will never do it again........ Although beautiful, it's just plain creepy. My dad is up there every day doing lawn work, etc.......and my Aunt's kids come to stay 2-3 times a year, but other than this it is vacant.

Here is a quick video panning through a view of the house. Matt saw it this past weekend and Rob has showered there too before our hunt last fall (If I remember correctly). Matt could tell it was pretty creepy and he didn't even go inside.......[8D].

Old 05-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

My kids think it is. I've told them about a headless man who still roams the place looking for the wicked kids who did it.

When I hunt a place were shot dead animals are left laying (one place had 4 deer) I don't stay.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 PM

i think what creeps my out the most is not knowing what you are going to step on. i have literally stepped on pheasants and let me tell you that is the most eerry feeling. in the pitch black and completely silent woods. to have a ringneck fly up under your feet.

also one time i was helping a buddy track his deer through 'new' woods and we had something chargeus two different times. it was strange because we were intently trying to find deer sign and all of a sudden we heard something coming at us. we actually had to yell and stomp our feet in order to stop it. this is in the middle of michigan. nothing is going to eat us there but still makes you uncomfortable!!!!
Old 05-09-2008, 09:49 PM

man some of you guys sound like a bunch of sissies!
Old 05-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah my woods are creepy. Pines around makes it extra dark. Well one time when I was 11 I was coming down through those pines and it was just getting dark(dark in pines but still kinda light in regular woods). As I got into the pines.........4 grouse took out. Scared the crap out of me, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Ran all the way down the hill after that and never looked back. That was 33 ago and it still freaks me out abit.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

By far the creepiest thing I came across was this.......

Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 PM

Anyone ever heard a hog being slaughtered JUST before visibility reaches you on your walk to stand? It was the farm over, but sounded like a mountain lion 3 feet behind me. My friend texted me from across the farm on his way in "WTF WAS THAT?" lmao. He stayed put until daylight before continuing to his stand.

How about a bobcat screeach/scream/whatever you want to call it let out less than 30 yards away in the pitch dark...Or a coyote howl from less than 20 while propped up against a tree before dark turkey scouting?

This year on my AL turkey trip me and a buddy got between what we believe to bea sow and her piglets, only a bow in hand and no arrows. Pitch dark without a light and 600 yards from fourwheeler. I knew we were gonners, lol. They paralleled us all the way up the hill...it had to of been the hogs spotted earlier that week. Either that or a few elephants found their way to the AL backwoods.

Allfour = not cool. The coyote was the eiriest, made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Any closer and I probably could have felt his breath.

All this said, I dont really get all that spooky. I know there isnt a thing around these parts of KY that cangetme in the woods, less another human being.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope never beencreeped outin the woods, but have in the wrong partof town a time or two.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:00 AM

No, but then again I have been comfortable with the woods every since I was in the Marines. Before then I was always a city boy. Now I am completely comfortable in the woods come night or day it does not matter. And, believe it or not your pheripeal vision is actually better at night! Sorry, I am not trying to sound like a military know it all that is so much cooler on-line. LOL
Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 AM

It looks like nothing out of the ordinary for the democrats? Just the usual show.....

[8D]