Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How Much Do You Like Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer >

How Much Do You Like Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How Much Do You Like Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer

Old 05-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer

I am almost as motivated to turkey hunt as I am for deer, but I don't feel the need to carry the bow for turkeys all the time. 80% of the time I carry the shotgun for them, simply because I liketo shoot turkeys with a shotgunand have a MUCH smaller window of time to make it happen as compared to deer/archery season.
Me three........especially since I can tag along with these guys and not worry about getting plunked or sets messed up by my fellow PA hunters.
Plus in PA a blind MUST be an artificial type that completely encloses the hunter from the sides and top. We cannot use makeshift or natural constructed blinds nor can we set up like the HB guys do with an artificial screen.
That really cuts down on the mobility.

I enjoy the shotgun hunting alot, and for some reason the thought of ripping them to shreds with a broadhead doesn't hold as much appeal to me....most likely the potential "mount" factor.

First and foremost a deer bowhunter but I am loving this turkey thing.....I'm sure I'll hunt them with a bow (I have in the past) but I like everything the shotgun affords me, limited time to hunt, mobility and effectiveness.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

On a scale of 1-10 for adrenaline rush: Deer 10....Turkey 5....Enough said!!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM

Honestly, I believe that I enjoy turkey hunting more than deer hunting. I can't pick a main reasons, its more of a combination of a bunch of reasons. The weather is nice, the sounds of a spring morning comming to life are better than a fall morning, the smells of the foliage blooming, the beauty of a longbeard strutting in a green field, and probablly the biggest is the interaction with the animal.

Taking my bird with my bow this year just furthered the passion and I am really kicking myself for not getting a second turkey tag so I could take the 82nd out for Round 2. I did take my girl out this morning. Archery hunting for deer to me is just more of a "lazy" style of hunting. Set-up in a treestand and just wait, where as with turkeys I am interacting with them and actively pursuing them.

Don't get me wrong, I love archery hunting, but there is just something about make a few yelps on a slate call as the sun rises over a green field and hearing the thundering sound of a gobbler waking up in the morning that just gets me goin!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Over the past several years the turkey bug has bedded deeply under my skin. I've tried the bow thing a few times now, but my windows to hunt are rather small, and to anticpate getting multiple good chances at birds each season, isn't very realistic for me at this point. So the bow will probably get retired and only be brought out after at least one bird is down for the season. Or I start hunting spots and develop the calling skills neede to be able to call birds in at a much higher rate than I currently do.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have discoverd I am a deer hunter, and a guy who hunts Turkeys
Old 05-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love to hunt both animals with a Bow or a Gun! Our Spring turkey hunt is a 5 day season so I split the season between Bow and Gun, it all depends on how I feel that morning and how the weather is as to which weapon I choose! In the Fall if a Turkey happens by my stand while bowhunting deer in the AM or PM I'll take a shot. After the morning set I'll go in search of the Birds until time for the evening bowhunt!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Buck Magnet

Honestly, I believe that I enjoy turkey hunting more than deer hunting. I can't pick a main reasons, its more of a combination of a bunch of reasons. The weather is nice, the sounds of a spring morning comming to life are better than a fall morning, the smells of the foliage blooming, the beauty of a longbeard strutting in a green field, and probablly the biggest is the interaction with the animal.

Taking my bird with my bow this year just furthered the passion
Wow, this is how I feel to a T.

People think I'm crazy because I like turkey hunting more, especially in MN where we get 5 days to hunt. I think it is in my blood.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

I'm nowhere near as dedicated to turkey as deer. Might be why I'm 0 for 2 in the turkey department[:@]
Old 05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Turkeys are a good way to pass Spring be it with a Bow or Gun. The Fall Big Game (Deer included) are my Passion.

Dan
Old 05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: How Much Do You Like Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.