HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How Much Do You Like Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/245320-how-much-do-you-like-bowhunting-turkey-vs-bowhunting-deer.html)

PreacherTony 05-08-2008 06:36 AM

How Much Do You Like Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer

What are your thoughts? Which would you rather do?

As far as myself, I am not even 1/2 as motivated for turkey as I am for deer .... how about you guys?

virginiashadow 05-08-2008 06:39 AM

RE: Bowhunting Turkey vs. Bowhunting Deer

I'm not even 1/3rd as motivated about turkey as I am about deer. Maybe that is because I am not a good turkey hunter and there are not alot of turkey where I hunt. Can be very frustrating. I however woke up at 4am this morning and went turkey hunting. Didn't see or hear anything. Oh well, was a beautiful morning and the scenery.....

Rick James 05-08-2008 06:42 AM

I am almost as motivated to turkey hunt as I am for deer, but I don't feel the need to carry the bow for turkeys all the time. 80% of the time I carry the shotgun for them, simply because I liketo shoot turkeys with a shotgunand have a MUCH smaller window of time to make it happen as compared to deer/archery season.

Western MA Hunter 05-08-2008 06:44 AM

I am an avid bowhunter for deer. I have not yet tried bowhunting turkeys. I will eventually. Now I stick to the shotgun for the birds.

MGH_PA 05-08-2008 06:47 AM

Same as Matt. I've become very addicted to turkey hunting in the last two years, and although it is my goal to take one with a bow, I LOVE being very mobile when turkey hunting (no blinds, and generally no decoys). I guess you could say my passion for HUNTING deer and turkey are very close, but I am more passionate about BOWHUNTING deer;)

mobow 05-08-2008 06:49 AM

Deer, hands down. I used to LOVE hunting turkeys, and still enjoy it. But I would much rather hunt deer. Looking back, I NEVER would have thought killing deer w/ archery equipment would be easier than killing a turkey with a shottie.....never. But for me....It is.

MC Bowhunter 05-08-2008 06:52 AM

I'm an avid bowhunter for deer. Avid turkey hunter with a shotgun.I have shot my fair share of turkeys with my bow. But in the springtime it's shotgun only for me. For the most part our Easterns are just too smart to get with a bow unless your going to haul a blind around. And that's not something I want to do. Some morning I am traveling a couple miles setting up 5 to 10 times on the same bird when he isn't cooperating. Hauling a blind for all that wouldn't be much fun.

HuntingBry 05-08-2008 06:58 AM

I'm having a blast this year getting back into turkey hunting. I had honestly forgotten how fun it is. With that said if I had to make a choice it would be an easy one to make and deer would win hands down. I am really enjoying turkey hunting and will be doing it with my bow, but I live to chase whitetails with my bow.

GMMAT 05-08-2008 06:58 AM

Only 1+ seasons of turkey hunting with the bow. Last year I got out for 25 hunts....and took my first via archery tackle. This year....I've been out 5 times....due to many reasons....but NOT because of a lack of interest.

I love hunting turkeys....but I'd as soon eat my tag as I would take one with the shotgun. Personal preference. Been there....done that. I do think it's an exciting way to hunt them, though (shotgun). I can see why so many love it.

I'm a deer hunter that hunts turkeys, "some". I hope to get better at bowhunting birds.....and I hope to be able to do it more, next year.

GregH 05-08-2008 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I am almost as motivated to turkey hunt as I am for deer, but I don't feel the need to carry the bow for turkeys all the time. 80% of the time I carry the shotgun for them, simply because I liketo shoot turkeys with a shotgunand have a MUCH smaller window of time to make it happen as compared to deer/archery season.
Same here, except I've decided to hunt spring turkeys with the bow and fall turkeys with the shotgun. I love my new turkey shotgun!

If I had to choose just one to hunt, it would be deer for me.