Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Who got you into bowhunting and shooting? >

Who got you into bowhunting and shooting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who got you into bowhunting and shooting?

Old 01-20-2002, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who got you into bowhunting and shooting?

Back in 1956 my dad had me meet him at a shop
he was at all the time,it was called San Francisco Archery and after shooting at the
indoor range bought my gear and have been
shooting ever since.THe changes have been
awesome but love the new gear, and still am
hooked as deep as ever!!
Old 01-20-2002, 07:19 PM

I always played in the woods, but hunting seemed to be what everyone else did. when I would go I didnt know the first thing of how to. like most guys I was aquainted with I just hit the woods every season, made plenty of noise, arose before brunch, and by sundown wondered how it was that no animal ever graced me with its prsence. I gave up several years ago, with the exception of an occasional hike on a weekend day,with my rifle slung on my shoulder. And then last year I became semi-retired. I didnt hunt much still, as I still didnt know how. but I found this site and after reading lots of posts of hunts and plans of hunts, scouting how to's and every thing else that comes up on these boards, well, I'm still not much of a hunter but I was so taken by the bowhunting forum that I went out and bought a bow, learned to shoot it, practiced, and then practiced some more, and I shot in all the 3D shoots at the local range. I went and tested for proficeincy, and am now certified to hunt. now all I need is a hunting season and you guys to keep me learning what it is going to take be successful in the hunt. Oh and to answer the questoin, this forum. thanks. lamar.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-20-2002, 08:11 PM
Spike

I got a wing recurve 25# in 1969 and have been hooked since.Its been a great adventure.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:30 PM

To tell you the truth, I got myself shooting when I was 12. I cut grass for a long time to save up for my first Bear compound. I read every single bowhunting magazine I could, and taught myself good form, and practiced the mental game. To this day, I still LOVE to read bowhunting magazines. I have never had anyone to shoot with. I kind of like it in a way, because I can focus on my practice a lot better, but there are times when it would be nice to shoot with someone.
Old 01-20-2002, 08:44 PM

wow, there's some long storie's on this subject. i'll keep mine short. a co worker got me started back in 1986. i bought a pse pulsar express for about $100 and 3 arrows,field points,broadheads, and 2 bails of hay. i practiced everyday for a month until deer season started. i killed a 5 point buck my 1st season and was hooked for life. i also gun hunt, but only take wall hangers with it.

Edited by - beretta390 on 01/20/2002 21:58:54
Old 01-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I loved hunting and thought I'd give bowhunting try. I've never shot a bow or really even seen anyone shoot one, but spend $250 on a bow and a few supplies, and have been hooked ever since. Bowhunting deer is my favorite. I also now have some buddies who picked up on the sport and my brother did also.
Visit My Hunting Page

Old 01-20-2002, 08:49 PM

My dad got me into hunting but never took up bow hunting.So I started myself mostly to give me another reason to be out hunting.I learned the hard way making mistakes without someone to guide me.I read Mag.Videos etc.and shot in archery leagues.I asked people Questions on bow hunting and improved from there.I still love to gun hunt but wouldn't trade bow hunting for the world.
Old 01-20-2002, 09:10 PM

Thanks, to my Dad mostly, although when I was about 8 years old and in the states camping well my dad was building someone a Yaht, My bro and I made little bows out of fiberglass tentpoles bungy cord, the left over poles we made arrows with. I shot it for the whole summer.
So thanks Dad and Mike.
Good shooting.
Dylan

>>>>--------o-->
Old 01-20-2002, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was taught by a former Kenosha Wisconsin City Champion - My Dad.
He held the title when he was only 11 years old.
Alot had happened since then, but I will never forget shooting with him in our backyard. We would put playing cards up at 30ft, grab our sightless recurves, and pick out individual spots on a card (like "the diamond in the top-right corner&quot and see who could get closer.
Somewhere in my teens I began to be able to out-shoot him regularly. What a feeling that was. It was like the first time you checkmate the person who taght you chess.

The best archery advice I ever got from him was: "If you don't practice with small targets, you will never be able to hit them."

Keep 'em all in the Bull.

Quick Reply: Who got you into bowhunting and shooting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.