Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Honest Question:  Cow hunts. >

Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Moo Moo Buckeroo - let's go hunting!
30.39%
I would never shoot a farm animal under any circumstances.
11.76%
I'd consider. They ARE going to be slaughtered anyway...
17.65%
This poll is gay.
40.20%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Honest Question: Cow hunts.

i have no problem popping off one of the steers. but i be scaared out of my mind shooting a bull with a bow, a hereford like in the picture probably tips the scale at 1800 lbs of muscle, anger, and testosterone.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: halfrack VIII

i have no problem popping off one of the steers. but i be scaared out of my mind shooting a bull with a bow, a hereford like in the picture probably tips the scale at 1800 lbs of muscle, anger, and testosterone.
I would stand on the other side of the fence, or set up a tree stand.[:-][8D] lol
Old 05-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey, people pay $20,000 to hunt a 2000 poundCape Buffalo. You could get a similar life-threatening experienceby putting the stalk onan angry Angus Bull right here in the good ol' USA.

Old 05-01-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if I'd want to shoota cowbut I wouldsucker punchone in a second.

I kid, I kid.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MichiganWhitetails74

HAHAHAHA.....you guys are nuts.........take a fence away and the mice will play.....

OK guys.....I admit....I would be in there front and center with a sinew wrapped cedar shaft and 68 pounds of elbow crushing, bone thrashing OSAGE!!!.....Gosh my stick is hard on my joints now....even at 34 years old.....

Makes me want to buy a nice takedown....SHultzy....any ideas?
There's many good ones out there! Personally I probably am not the one to ask being I'm still shooting the same recurve (take down) the last 13 years. Kota, Big Horn, Black Widow, are just a few who make some excellent Traditional take down bows. Check in with the folks in the Traditional forum, they know a pile more then I do when it comes to all the Traditional bow company's out there. The ones I listed are a few favorites that I would like to own some day. Send Rybohunter and BowHuntingFool a PM, there bows are some sexy looking longbows. I'm guessing the company they got there bow's from makes take downs as well.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

You have got to be kidding me. This poll is gay.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

First off, it isnt a hunt. It is killing livestock. Something that runs towards you at the sight of you, expecting food, isnt something that one can "hunt". Like someone else mentioned, why not try it on your dog that is going to be euthanized.[:'(]

I know bows and sharp BHs are lethal and all, but not as much as a bullet between the eyes. Why make the cow suffer more than it needs to, just because you want to test your equipment? I understand how shooting through thick hide would be interesting to test a bow on, but try it on a dead cow dude, and dont call it hunting. I have enough confidence in my bow that I dont need to shoot betsy and see how far the arrow penetrates.

All that said, it has been mighty tempting in the past when the herd wanders by the stand ruining an afternoonhunt.[:@]
I don't want to cast a cloud on this extremely humorous thread, but this is one of the most hypocritical posts I have ever seen. If this is truly how you feel I suggest you give up bowhunting.

Why make the cow suffer more than it needs to, just because you want to test your equipment?
So, you are saying that bowhunting causes suffering even with a well placed good shot? Hmmm, hate to disagree with you, but if I gotta go, suddenly having blood stop flowing to my brain and passing out within 30 seconds without knowing what happened sounds pretty good to me.

If you feel you are causing suffering, even on good shots, to the game you are pursuing and you continue to do it you are a sick person. My objective is to take game cleanly and without suffering and that is why I practice religiously and obsess over my equipment.

Just so you know, I stated that I would not shoot a cow, but only because it doesn't interest me. I wouldn't shoot a zebra with a bow either for the same reason.

Hopefully, I just misunderstood your post, but if not I am disappointed.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

If you could walk up to deer and popthem in the head with a gun or captive bolt, then shooting them with a bow would be hardly justified. Same goes for a tame cow.

Instant massive brain trauma will not be felt. The same cannot be said for an arrow through the chest. Using the word 'suffer' may be subjective, but the point is, why prolonge the cow's death by even a few seconds to satisfy a personal curiosity?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:59 AM
Fork Horn

I'd only do it if I was preparing to hunt a steer sized wild animal in the near future, AND there were (big) rifle shooters along with to immediately shoot after I did to ensure an instant kill. So, no, I guess I wouldn't.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Why initiate and prolong a deer/turkey/antelope/elk/any other game animal's death even by a few seconds to satisfy our hobby? This whole thread now reeks of hypocracy.
Crap, I meant to reply and edited instead. I'm sorry!

Really, I didn't do it on purpose!!

Quick Reply: Honest Question: Cow hunts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.