Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The perfect ending to rattling >

The perfect ending to rattling

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The perfect ending to rattling

Old 04-28-2008, 10:16 AM

Default The perfect ending to rattling

Maybe it's just me but i find that when i'm rattle deer horns that sometimes i just can't quit until i finish off with the perfect breakapart/ending. I rattle alot during the entire season i often catch my self doing it, I doubt it matters, Alot of time i'll never get to even finish and the bucks come rushing in. Anyone else find themselves finishing a session just right?
Old 04-28-2008, 10:23 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default RE: The perfect ending to rattling

I suck at rattling. I usually scare more deer away than I call in, so I don't do it very much at all. [&o]

However, I'm pretty successful with a grunt call, I never leave home without 2 of them in my pack.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Greg - it may just be something about the area we hunt but I've never had much success with rattling either. In fact, I don't know many peole around here who have. However, I've had great success with a grunt call and know others who have as well.

I think of all the times I've rattled in my life, which was a lot when I was younger, I can definitely say I've had maybe two deer that I knew for a fact were coming into the rattling. Other than that I either haven't seen anything at all, or spooked deer from it.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rattling is allot of fun and frustrating at the same time. When it works its great but when it doesn't work your wondering if your doing more harm then good. My brother and I have had excellent success in rattling. I suck with grunt calls and of the sorts but my brother has luck with them. This year I will be bringing the Growl and the snort and wheeze with me in the woods for the 1st time. I'm excited to give it a try. Oakcreek I know exactly what your talking about when it comes to ending a good rattling sequence. I try and do the same but it doesn't always end that way.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Justin

Greg - it may just be something about the area we hunt but I've never had much success with rattling either. In fact, I don't know many peole around here who have. However, I've had great success with a grunt call and know others who have as well.

I think of all the times I've rattled in my life, which was a lot when I was younger, I can definitely say I've had maybe two deer that I knew for a fact were coming into the rattling. Other than that I either haven't seen anything at all, or spooked deer from it.
What you've said is exactly true for all of the places I've hunted, Wis and Ill. Every once in a while I'll watch a video where it works great, then I go out and try.......... and zilch!! [:@]
Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Although I have rattled in Bucks a few times over the years, I have never been lucky enough to kill one doing ratteling alone.
Now I have killed several using ratteling and grunting or grunting and rubbing small trees with my bow limb at the same time.
I think how much you rattle without getting caught is more important than how you end a sequence.
But then I am not that successful on this subject.
Im like Greg, I wont leave home without a good Grunt call.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

What you've said is exactly true for all of the places I've hunted, Wis and Ill. Every once in a while I'll watch a video where it works great, then I go out and try.......... and zilch!! [:@]
Same here, I think it has alot to do with the Buck to Doe ratio in different parts of the Country.
Kansas = Ratteling and grunting works well.
Kentucky = just grunting.
Northern Michigan = Better off just holding still ( they know all the tricks)
Old 04-28-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

ORIGINAL: GregH

Same here, I think it has alot to do with the Buck to Doe ratio in different parts of the Country.
Kansas = Ratteling and grunting works well.
Kentucky = just grunting.
Northern Michigan = Better off just holding still ( they know all the tricks)
I believe in the future grunt calls for deer will be just like the elk hunting out west, everything will be call shy with everyone and there neighbor bringing one in the woods these days. Half the problem is most don't use them right I believe.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Half the problem is most don't use them right I believe.
Bingo Steve!

Quick Reply: The perfect ending to rattling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.