Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The perfect ending to rattling >

The perfect ending to rattling

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The perfect ending to rattling

Old 04-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Default RE: The perfect ending to rattling

I have never had luck with either rattling or grunts/bleats/wheezes etc......

or I should say I havent had luck with any of these for about 15-20 years, back when I was starting you could rattle bucks in and I can think of 3 times I grunted bucks in, but the last few years, no luck, I am starting to believe that there is some truth to the deer becoming 'call shy'.........
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Typical Buck

I have grunted them in but never have rattled one in. Grunts seem to work very well for me early in the season.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 PM

It definetly is a numbers game i'll 1 for 10,through out the season, I start carrying my horns mid sept and then feel like i've forgotten something if i have left them behind.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

I have had, what I would say "good" success with rattling. I NEVER rattle when I can see something though, I am too scared to screw it up!

I have found that I get better results, in open fields. I have a theory that deer do not like to come to rattling in the woods, because they cannot see very well. In the fields, they can see a ways, and feel more secure.

But, who really knows?
Old 04-28-2008, 11:24 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I have tried it in the past but I stay away from rattling now. Last thing I want is a buck looking for mewhile hunting onthe ground... plus it is too much movement.

Tyler likes to rattle a little and uses a grunt call.He doesn'tdo it a lot though.

Tim
Old 04-29-2008, 05:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ratling will work in just about every pre-rut rut scenario in just about every region in the US and possibly beyond. it works best if one has a good buck to doe ratio. Ive been fortunate enough to have been able to kill a few bucks that I have rattled in. Last year I was not. Pre-rut, its best not to crash the ratling antlers or bag. Just tickle them a little bit, this works best for me in late sept-mid oct in open feeding areas. Late Oct-Mid Nov Is when I start getting a little more aggressive. I start out light just incase theres a buck bedded near by. No matter what time of the season I rattle, I keep the same sequence. I will ratlle for up to 2 minutes, pause for 8 minutes, rattle 2 minutes pause for 10 minutes, and then repeat. During the aggressive sequence I try to get a good strong break apart. Another tip I learned over the years by reading and talking with some of the pros is that real antlers work best. Most use a good 8 point with the brow tines cut off and sanded smooth where the browtines would be, this will keep you from pinching your fingers. I also learned that soaking the real bone in water for 24 hours before use really holds the natural sounds of the antlers, then soak them once the sound starts to chage. This is what I have learned over the years of ratling.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

As some have already said, buck to doe ratio is key. If bucks don't have to compete for doe's they don't have to fight, so rattling won't work. In my area where we have a 10 doe to one buck ratio, rattling will only spook the deer.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: Justin

Greg - it may just be something about the area we hunt but I've never had much success with rattling either. In fact, I don't know many peole around here who have. However, I've had great success with a grunt call and know others who have as well.

I think of all the times I've rattled in my life, which was a lot when I was younger, I can definitely say I've had maybe two deer that I knew for a fact were coming into the rattling. Other than that I either haven't seen anything at all, or spooked deer from it.

What you've said is exactly true for all of the places I've hunted, Wis and Ill. Every once in a while I'll watch a video where it works great, then I go out and try.......... and zilch!! [:@]

I haven't had much luck in Illinois with rattling either. The only place I did was in the area I currently live when I used to hunt it, outside of that I can't get any notable response when rattling. I have seen a few of the deer in my area with busted tines from fighting but a lot og the bucs I have taken show no sign of fighting damage on their racks.
I might need a rattling seminar
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 AM

I am terrible at rattling so I guess no I dont finish with the perfect ending but I can see what you mean

Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: early in

As some have already said, buck to doe ratio is key. If bucks don't have to compete for doe's they don't have to fight, so rattling won't work. In my area where we have a 10 doe to one buck ratio, rattling will only spook the deer.
Do you take rattling horns to Alberta ?

Quick Reply: The perfect ending to rattling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.