Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tom Miranda... Your thoughts >

Tom Miranda... Your thoughts

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tom Miranda... Your thoughts

Old 04-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tom Miranda... Your thoughts

Alright, I can't sleep... for several different reasons. So I pop in Tom Miranda's bowhunting encyclopedia, I've always thought I liked or sort of liked this guy anyway. I'm on hunt 11 of 15 and have some different ideas now.

Here are some of my thoughts/observations:

1. Forcing Shots- He's mentioned it at least twice (that he "forced" the shot)since I've been sitting here. That's something that I personally don't agree with at all.

2. Short recovery- He's said on two different occassions that a deer went over 200 yards and that's "Not far." He keeps at it saying, "If you make the right shot, they won't go far, only a couple hundred yards."

3. Moving Shots- This is something that I rarely do unless conditions are absolutely perfect and it certainly doesn't happen on deer over 20 yards. He's shot several deer that were on a brisk walk at best.

I'm not going to knock the guy, he's killed way more big deer than I have... no question. But I wonder how many of his forced/moving shots have translated to lost animals.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tom Miranda... Your thoughts

Just one quick question, Dubbya. Um.... er.... who's Tom Miranda? (No, I'm not yankin' your chain. I don't know who he is.)
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, nevermind. I just did a Google search. Now I know who Tom Miranda is.

In my limited experience, I think 200 yards is a long, looooong way for a well hit deer to travel.Not one of the five deer I took last season madeit more than 50 yards. Seeing as how that was my first year bow hunting, that's about all I can contribute.

As to the moving shots..... I don't know. I know I can hit a moving target, but would I actually try it in a hunting scenario? No, I don't think so. Like you said, the conditions would have to be perfect.

One other question to solidify just how new to this bowhunting game I am....could you define "forcing the shot"?
Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LittleChief

Just one quick question, Dubbya. Um.... er.... who's Tom Miranda? (No, I'm not yankin' your chain. I don't know who he is.)
X2

1. forcing a shot to me implies that it risky. Not a good idea IMO
2. 200 yds. seems like a long way for a well placed shot.
3. Moving shots can be tough. I usually stop my deer for the shot. Deer who are stopped are also on red alert and always react to the shot. If the deer is close and moving slow I will sometimes shoot them on the move. They don't react to the shot as much and sometimes not at all.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:30 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I know him from trapping back in the 80's or 90'swhen he published articles in Fur-Fish-Game. He sold lure/urine also for trapping.

Not into any of the hunting authors or hunting videos but knew he moved into that venture ( video ).

Magicman's response pretty much says it for me.

Tim
Old 04-28-2008, 05:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

i have that same bowhunting encyclopedia..mom got it for me a while back...wait till you get to the last hunt though a freak accident, its pretty amazing..

his shots do kinda make me go hummm at times...but, look at what he does different...he ADMITS his faults...admits he forced the shot and that its not always a good idea...admits how far the deer went...admits it was a hard track and recovery...you wont catch 90% of the guys on TV admitting they hit farther back than they wanted..or they had to track the deer a couple hundred yards...or admit they took a risky shot...IMO he seems to be more of a hunter than most of the "TV stars"

oh...watch the bull elk shot...thats probably the worst...and i want to say he does lie a bit on that one..

noone is perfect or gets it right EVERY time...neither does Tom...or anyone else on TV..but many of the guys never admit their faults or point out what they did wrong or what they did was risky...not trying to defend the guy...but he seems alright in my book..his shots are better than Tred Bartas

Old 04-28-2008, 05:44 AM
Dominant Buck

200 yards is a bit far for a well hit animal to go, but it can happen.

I don't know what he was referring to as a moving shot. I'll shoot at a deer casually strolling along at a slow walk every day of the week. They're less likely to bolt at the shot. Especially less likely than doing the baaaaaa thing to get them to stop. I think it puts them on alert too much. I of course don't take longer shots at walking animals that I would have no problem taking if he was stopped. A 20-25 yard walking shot is no problem.

Forcing the shot???? Well that depends on what he's calling forcing the shot. I'll take shots that some wouldn't and other I'm sure take shots that I wouldn't. You have to know your own abilities. For example, some people trim the heck out of the woods making shooting lanes and all sorts of things. I try to leave it untouched, rarely trimming anything except right at stand height for bow clearance. Occasionally I'll lasso a limb and tie it back out of the way or something but that's it. Consequently, I "FORCE" shots through a lot of little holes that someone else might think is Forcing or Unethical. To me, it's just knowing your arrow flight and adapting.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:51 AM
Bartender

I did a pretty good read on how amazing maturebucks are when it comes to being double lunged and just how far
they can go and I agree 200 yards any deer can cover pretty quickly. Mature bucks need to survive are in a class by itself. So it does not surprise me on this. Now your young bucks and does usually give up pretty easily on a double lung. I will find this article today and go more in depth if you like? (Deer & Deer Hunting mag)

T
Old 04-28-2008, 07:53 AM

i shot doe last year right in the hot oven and she ran over 300yards its possible any time
Old 04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a ton of respect for both him and Stan Potts. Both were hardcore predator trappers before getting "famous". Its no secret that some of the best bowhunters in the world were first trappers. You have to know exactly were that animal will set it's foot. 200 yards is a possible distance for a lung shot deer. Uncommon, but again, it is possible.

Quick Reply: Tom Miranda... Your thoughts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.