Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 when do you know >

when do you know

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

when do you know

Old 04-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default when do you know

You were going to be a bowhunter -

I believe my addiction started some 32 years ago when I was 6 or 7, I had a fit over a little fiberglass recurve kit with three wooden arrows - nobody in the family knew anything about bows or such - so we set up a sheet of plywood and i busted all my arrows - I talked mom into buying more expensive arrows and they held up to shooting into plywood a lil better

Shortly thereafter a bluejay that was in the top of a cedar tree meet his fate with a well placed head shot- and such the addiction was born
I went on the bb guns and rifle and bought my first compound at 14 - when we moved to the country - killed several deer with abow before ever killing one with a rifle and have since started bowhunting exculsively - lovin every minute of it - how bout you
Old 04-27-2008, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: when do you know

I knew I'd be a bowhunter when I realized (mid 70's) I could hunt deer when the trees turn their beautiful Fall colors here in Pa. It's a special time to be in the woods, and I feel lucky to be able to experience it.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:11 PM

I was in 7th or 8th grade we had just moved back to my moms birthplace after a long bad div. I had a friend who wanted to camp out in the nearby hills and we went on the weekend. At almost the same time I had been reading the James Dickey novel, Deliverance. When we camped (on top of a huge hill known for being a Indian mound) I lay awake all night listening to deer snort and wheeze. I couldn't get the thought of deer hunting out of my head, and a week later bought a indian warhawk at the local store. I know it sounds corny but that is how it started, nobody in my family hunted deer let alone with a bow....Self taught and all that jazz..Who woulda thunk it ????
Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

when i was 4 years old and would watch the realtree guys on tv and when we were driving down the road and i would pull my imaginary bow back at deer we seen
Old 04-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

when you pull the trigger... and there is no excitement. That's whenI knew. It took me about 2 deer to figure that out.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

At 3 years old I knew my brother and I would be tripping over the old mans feet the next 15 years as youngsters. Here's a pic of my brother and I shooting our recurves. I was 5 years old in this pic and my brother was 3 years old.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

First started shooting bow at Boy Scout camp about thirty years ago. I got a fiberglass recurve and played around for several years before getting wrapped up in other things. I think part of the issue was that my father (and teacher of all I knew about hunting) was not an archer. Now that I am back into archery, I am passing all I can on to my kids and enjoying every moment I can get in the woods or on the range.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

The King came out of the womb with a bow fashioned from a rib andhis ownumbilical cord. Before the hospital staffcould even get the afterbirth wiped off, helaunched a hypodermic needle out the window and assassinated a squirrel in the hospital courtyard.He was charged with Disorderly Conduct, andthe Illegal Taking ofa Squirrelfor that littletransgression.

Only a few short years later, heconquered Kid Icarus (without saving)and went on to become the world's Undisputed King of Archery.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Typical Buck

I started pretty young, had play bows with suctions cups at first so prolly 2. Thenmy dad used to make me stick bows then when I was about 10 I got a real bow,and from then on it has been pure madness hehehehe.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm 46. I started bowhunting 3 1/2 years ago. I killed a feral hog for my first bowkill 3 years ago. Game over. Now I rarely pick up a gun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.