Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big day...(Updated 4/29 Pg. 3) >

Big day...(Updated 4/29 Pg. 3)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big day...(Updated 4/29 Pg. 3)

Old 04-26-2008, 02:10 PM

Default RE: Big day...

Sounds like a great hunt bud, thanks for the text update....but next time make it a kill text! I love hunts with the pops, dont you?

I cant even imagine having snow here during turkey season, crazy. Best of luck in the morning, sounds like your farm is the place to be though.

Im heading out the door now for an afternoonhunt to mainly just roost birds for the morning. Still holdin strong with the Hoyt as well.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its hard hunting in that weather, but it can be done. Sounds like you have a good plan for the morning!

Good luck buddy!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hope you get on them in the morning Kyle. I had just the opposite, perfect weather but not much gobbling. Maybe they will be in a better mood tomorrow.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like you had a blast, Kyle!!! NOTHING like hunting with Dad! ....Man I can't wait to see the pics with you two, your grins, and a bird or two ..
Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Score: Turkeys-2 Kyle-0

Went out sunday morning, where all the turkeys we heard saturday were. But wouldn't you guess it, they moved again, to another part of the farm about the same distace we moved from sat-sun. After the morning hunt, sunday. Me and my best friend drove in search of some birds in the fields, but to no avail, UNTIL we hit our last field we have access to! 5 Strutters, that would prove to be in a tough spot to hunt.

We drove into the field access and took the long way, accross a corn field to "cut them off" (they weren't really moving, they were just strutting around about 60 yrds from the main road, and 20 yards from a driveway[>:]) We got set up, about 50 yards from them, back in the woods. Now, we were "running and gunning" with my bow. We had no time to get a blind, or decoy so we went on the mission.

We got a visual on the birds, whom were still strutting in the field. Jake, my friend, set up about 15 yards behind me, back in the woods a little more and I on a point that jets out into the field. We started calling, and they popped off. He called again, and they sounded off, a little closer...here they come. Then, we heard a few clucks from some hens, who were not visable from the road where we saw the birds, they were back in the woods. Jake is a very good caller, and with me and him cuttin' and yelpin, they couldn't help but come over. We saw them, five TOMS, and 2 hens making their way toward us. There was a green opening 15 yrds away in the "point" where we thought they'd go, but they had a different agenda. They cut it up into the woods ten yards away from me back in some brush, offering no shot opportunity. What a hunt.

I had to come back to school today for two classes, but making the hour and thirty minnute drive home at one for an evening hunt, and to hunt tues morning, which is my last shot. These birds are winning, this year. Wish me luck.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Go get em Kyle!! Good luck!!
Old 04-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck kyle and hopefully your persistence pays off
Old 04-28-2008, 12:34 PM

Good Luck man I was out shooting and saw some 6-10 of them barking at eachother over a tom so it looks like they are gonna be tough to get atthis year.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Score: Turkeys-3 Kyle-0[&o]

I had the best morning of turkey hunting, since I can remember. I set up back in the woods on a little "food plot" which now is primarily a strut zone, and just low grass. I got out really early, five, because I couldn't sleep[>:]

It was a nice day, calm, but a little cool. It was clear, so the sun was shining nicely. I was by myself, which for me is a big change in the turkey woods.

As the sun came up, I heard 4-5 gobbles, CLOSE! About 80 yrds away. I yellped, and cut at them at they popped off. They were heading to the corn feld 100 yards to the east of me. I could now see them, deciding to go to the corn, or come to the sexy hen they heard calling them trying to steal their hearts.

They chose me.

They were coming, and fast. I saw them running down a trail, and heading myway. One, two, five...seven turkeys (five toms, two jakes, ZERO hens). They came, and it's like they hit a wall, 40 yrds from me in the brush.

I know what I did wrong. I had a solo jake out, because my dad who was hunting took our hen decoy. If I would have had a hen deek, I think it would have sealed the deal. Also, if I would have had a shotgun, game over for them. But I didn't, and I didn't. I'll take the good with the bad, and today was GOOD.

The turkeys may have won this year, I think I am done, but can maybe hunt wed night. I have 2 more friends hunting my farm, next thur Hopefully I'll get them one, and get some good footage.

Sorry so long

Old 04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
Spike

What area are you hunting? I hunted 347B and the turkeys won. Had a lot of action but no shots. Had a nice Tom 10"- 10.5" beard @ 25 yds but too much grass covering the body. Had it been a shotgun it would have been all over.

Quick Reply: Big day...(Updated 4/29 Pg. 3)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.