HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big day...(Updated 4/29 Pg. 3)
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 10:18 AM
MN/Kyle
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big day...

Score: Turkeys-2 Kyle-0

Went out sunday morning, where all the turkeys we heard saturday were. But wouldn't you guess it, they moved again, to another part of the farm about the same distace we moved from sat-sun. After the morning hunt, sunday. Me and my best friend drove in search of some birds in the fields, but to no avail, UNTIL we hit our last field we have access to! 5 Strutters, that would prove to be in a tough spot to hunt.

We drove into the field access and took the long way, accross a corn field to "cut them off" (they weren't really moving, they were just strutting around about 60 yrds from the main road, and 20 yards from a driveway[>:]) We got set up, about 50 yards from them, back in the woods. Now, we were "running and gunning" with my bow. We had no time to get a blind, or decoy so we went on the mission.

We got a visual on the birds, whom were still strutting in the field. Jake, my friend, set up about 15 yards behind me, back in the woods a little more and I on a point that jets out into the field. We started calling, and they popped off. He called again, and they sounded off, a little closer...here they come. Then, we heard a few clucks from some hens, who were not visable from the road where we saw the birds, they were back in the woods. Jake is a very good caller, and with me and him cuttin' and yelpin, they couldn't help but come over. We saw them, five TOMS, and 2 hens making their way toward us. There was a green opening 15 yrds away in the "point" where we thought they'd go, but they had a different agenda. They cut it up into the woods ten yards away from me back in some brush, offering no shot opportunity. What a hunt.

I had to come back to school today for two classes, but making the hour and thirty minnute drive home at one for an evening hunt, and to hunt tues morning, which is my last shot. These birds are winning, this year. Wish me luck.