Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I still say turkeys are tougher than deer >

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Old 04-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

I think I might be one of the few exeptions of bowhunters who have taken more mature birds than mature bucks with a bow. But I will agree, with Jeff, I believe turkeys are the bigger challenge than deer. Comparing breeding seasons: There are times during the turkey breeding season where mature birds are almost impossible to kill. Gobblers will roost with hens and only travel a radius of 50 yards of the roost during daylight hours, and then go back to the roost at dark. On the other side of the spectrum, a mature buck will breed a hot doe, and the next minute he will go chase another hot doe.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

.....MY BET is that for people who hunt both via archery tackle.....the number of mature bucks taken FAR outweighs the number of mature toms taken.
Could this be becausebowhunting for turkeysis fairly "new" compared to bowhunting deer?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff I am not spinning a thing
Simple equation
I put more time into deer hunting; therefore I am going to shoot more mature bucks.

What I am saying is it is impossible to compare them

Look at Hunsucker He hunts them both hard, and he shoot a lot of LB and mature deer. It's more about us(hunters) than it is them(game)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Could this be becausebowhunting for turkeysis fairly "new" compared to bowhunting deer?
Sure it could.

Gary....it's not nearly impossible to compare. It's a season v. a season. You're trying to make them "equal". They're not. The fact that turkey season is shorter adds to the difficulty factor.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sure it could.

Gary....it's not nearly impossible to compare. It's a season v. a season. You're trying to make them "equal". They're not. The fact that turkey season is shorter adds to the difficulty factor.
No I am trying to say it's more about how one hunts them

It's harder for me to kill a LB because I do not put as much time in it. Not just hunting time I am talking If I took two weeks off during Turkey Season here in MI just like I do with deer season and scounted a bit, I like my odds

Jeff we're both saying it's harder, I just think it has more to do with the hunter than anything else. If I spent the next ten years taking 15-20 days off to Turkey hunt rather than deer hunt. I bet I have more LB[8D]
Old 04-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gary....it's not nearly impossible to compare. It's a season v. a season. You're trying to make them "equal". They're not. The fact that turkey season is shorter adds to the difficulty factor

Didn't you argue against this premise when discussing deer hunting with a gun vs deer hunting with a bow?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Didn't you argue against this premise when discussing deer hunting with a gun vs deer hunting with a bow?
No. Everybody knows gun is easier.[8D]
Old 04-23-2008, 12:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started a thread on here a while back.....

The number of mature bucks taken by archers far outweighed the number of mature gobblers (again...taken by archers).

That tells me something.
As far as I'm concerned it tells me I've spent maybe 5% of the time Turkey hunting that I have Deer hunting.

Dan
Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Simple question......

Given the time you have to hunt this year.....

IF I said.....what are you MOST likely to kill..........a turkey or a deer (spin it antlered, mature, any way you want......).............

What would the answer be?
Old 04-23-2008, 12:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Also....I'm done.

Quick Reply: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.