Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I still say turkeys are tougher than deer >

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Old 04-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

How do you know you would have had birds if you had shot guns?? I have seen plenty of people miss turkeys with shot guns. I'm just saying.
I agree Chris, but keep in mind, we had 13 bearded birds in bow range throughout the morning. It's not that we had one opportunity each. We just didn't have an opportunity on them coming around the right side of the blind. We wouldn't have been in the blind and the odds were certainly in our favor. I'm confident we both would have had birds, people miss but, I'll take those odds.
I have no doubt you would have got a turkey with a gun Rob but you said you and Jeff would.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

How do you know you would have had birds if you had shot guns?? I have seen plenty of people miss turkeys with shot guns. I'm just saying.
I agree Chris, but keep in mind, we had 13 bearded birds in bow range throughout the morning. It's not that we had one opportunity each. We just didn't have an opportunity on them coming around the right side of the blind. We wouldn't have been in the blind and the odds were certainly in our favor. I'm confident we both would have had birds, people miss but, I'll take those odds.
I have no doubt you would have got a turkey with a gun Rob but you said you and Jeff would.
LOL, thanks bud!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

But i'm kind of a striker collector/connoisseur.
You and me both...I have like 10 with three pots....ordering two more!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Dang that stings!
Old 04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think turkeys are harder than deer too, then when you get to the fall theyre even harder!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

I was watching a hunting show the other day and the host was spraying his Turkey tent down with UV Killer. This was for a turkey hunt, and he even stated that UV Killer was NOT a sponsor of the show, he just liked the product so he gave them a plug for free. I've been a believer in UV Killer for deer hunting, use a lot of my deer camo for turkey hunting too, but I never gave it much of a thought if turkey's can also see in the ultra violet range. In other words, utra violet dyes and brighteners glow in the dark for deer and turkey's too?
Know I know turkey's can see about 10 times further than we can. I think they can even see through trees at times. I was busted by turkey's at least 50 times before I got my first Tom with a bow. No doubt in my mind that they see better than deer and are harder to draw a bow on. I thik they see further than deer and detect movement better and see better in the day, but deer see better at night.
Last spring I had a brand new Ameristep blind. I set it up and sat in it for 4 days. I saw all kinds of turkey's going out of there way to go around this tent. I practacally burried the tent in brush and cover. On the 5th and last day, I left the tent and sat 50 yards away, where all the turkey's were getting around the tent. The tent was never UV Killer treated, my camo pants, jacket and mask are treated. I had dozens of hens pass me 10 feet away. Had 9 jakes pass me between 11 yards to 25 yards, and following all those hens and jakes were 2 nice long beards bringing up the rear. I thought,"no way! All these eyes around, no cover, my bow is on the ground next to me and I don't have an arrow knocked." When the last Tom passed me, I made my move and managed a good shot at a tree branch. Tom or the rest never knew I shot, just kept right on walking! I grabbed the Mossberg and finished the season about 5 seconds after that.
So is it the UV glow from the new tent the turkey's were seeing? Anyone else use UV Killer and seen any results?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:00 PM

Last year, we had birds come so close to the blind that there was discussion about reaching out and grabbing one by the neck. One even landed on top of the blind. This was out of the Double Bull and the ASAT blinds.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

Last year, we had birds come so close to the blind that there was discussion about reaching out and grabbing one by the neck. One even landed on top of the blind. This was out of the Double Bull and the ASAT blinds.
I've had the same experience with my Double Bull.

Dan
Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

I honestly think it depends on where in the country and the pressure on the birds. I've never been in a blind in PA when the turkeys didn't become aware and wary of the blind. In NC with Jeff, those birds where spooking on something and I don't think it was us in the blind. It was either the blind or the decoy, don't know which. Either way, we had some gobblers spooky of the setup. I said to Jeff, it's not like television.

Now in KS, they didn't seem to blind as much, nonpressured birds. ? ?

Every bird, every situation, every state is different.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:21 PM

my birds get hammered every year and are still oblivious to blinds....few of the neighbors use blinds tho, so I guess that is why.

Quick Reply: I still say turkeys are tougher than deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.