Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe? >

Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

ORIGINAL: shed33

Steve I was hoping you would chime in....thank guys, this is great stuff, tips and pointers, method etc...many options for me to mull over and consider...

Do you guys use bait barrelsor not? Kyle, Steve?

I know there are a few more veteran bear hunters surfing this site, I am looking forward to hearing more
We can use 5 gallon pails In Mn but we've gotta take them out when we leave the bait site every time. Every state is different on this subject. To many a holes were leaving barrels and pails in the woods when bear hunting was over so they've gotten pretty strict on this stuff rightfully so.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:15 PM
Typical Buck

Use Honey, wait no dont do that you may kill "winnie the pooh"sorry I had to..
Old 04-16-2008, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

By the way, it's not even my turkey season, and now my mind is on bears. (well it always is, but even more now[>:])
Old 04-16-2008, 03:23 PM

I'll give you what knowledge I have, after I start supper.....[&:]
Old 04-16-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I'll give you what knowledge I have, after I start supper.....[&:]
Thank ya Dan, I was hoping you'd pop in here.. looking forward to what you do up in Ontario..
Old 04-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you were allowed in PA to put out bait [not for hunting] just to attract and observe purposes. I work for the School District of Trashadelphia and I would go to the High School cafeteria's and collect the grease that they would dump in 55gal barrels to be picked up. I would pour the grease over logs and in the feeder and the bears would go nuts over it. Maybe you could go to a High School or resturant near you ang get some. It works great and it easy to apply!

Hatchet jack
Old 04-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of stuff works, doughnuts, old bread, restaurant grease poured over it. I think the best thing is Fresh Meat scrapes. Not rotten!! The stink might attract them but I guarantee they prefer the fresh.

I've even baited with dated twinkies, and fruit pies. Well at least the ones I didn't eat between the baits

Dan
Old 04-16-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Lots of stuff works, doughnuts, old bread, restaurant grease poured over it. I think the best thing is Fresh Meat scrapes. Not rotten!! The stink might attract them but I guarantee they prefer the fresh.

I've even baited with dated twinkies, and fruit pies. Well at least the ones I didn't eat between the baits

Dan
Some bear prefer just the rotten stuff with the maggots crawling all over. Bear are allot like people, they all like different dishes of food that others wouldn't prefer, there actually picky eaters.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:17 PM
Bartender

Ahhh Steve do I sense fear factor style of bears?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:12 PM

Some good tips from the other guys so far....hopefully I can add a little to this discussion.

First, I believe that the amount of bait you use is as important as what you use. If at all possible, I will only use 5 gallons per day and bait every day. This way it creates a competition for the bait and brings the older big boars out before dark. I also run every bait in the same pattern each day....same time and in the same order. This way the bears know when to expect food and develop a routine. I also make a lot of noise while baiting, as well as drive right to a lot of the bait sites with my quad. I believe this gives them a chance to leave the bait before they see me.....if they hear me, fine....if they see me, I believe they may become nocturnal.

As for what I use, mostly sweet stuff. I mix bulk cereal, froot loops, gummy life savers, candy hearts, and sugar cones with pie filling. I prefer a pie filling that is wet and runny. Last fall my best filling was blueberry and strawberry. Mixing the dry stuff with the pie filling makes a very heavy, sweet and aromatic mixture. 5 gallons will weigh about 30-40 pounds. Oh yeah, I don't like to use things like doughnuts and bread. I feel they are too big and have had lots of bears walk into a bait, grab a chunk and walk away....returning to do the same thing and not offering much of a shot. I like to keep my bait in small peices and moist, this way the bear has to sit at the site and eat, giving my hunters a good chance to judge the size.

For scents I use a variety of things. I carry spray bottles of liquid smoke, maple flavoring, vanilla, and anise and spray down the trees and also put up sponges to soak. Like others have said, bacon grease works fantastic as a scent and a bait. I'll take 5 pounds of bacon and fry it lightly. I then take the bacon and hang it from branches and smear the grease on trees. One other thing I'm a big fan of is used cooking oil. I get a lot of this from people in camp after they fry fish....I actuall have a 55 gallon drum for them to pour it in. With the cooking oil, I throw it all over the bait site and pour it on the ground all around the bait itself. Like others have said, they walk through it and get it in their paws, dragging scent all over the place.

As for the set-up. I like to keep the baits about 15-18 yards for bow hunters. I also stack logs in a manner so that the bears can't face the hunter. They either have to be broadside or quartering away. Here's a pic of one of the bait sites.

Hope this helps and I'm sure I'll think of a ton more.

Quick Reply: Calling all Baiters! What's your recipe?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.