HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Turkey hunting w/ future father-in-law...yay (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/242385-turkey-hunting-w-future-father-law-yay.html)

Finch 04-14-2008 06:33 PM

Turkey hunting w/ future father-in-law...yay

Well, just got off the phone planning a turkey hunt with my future father-in-law. Sounds like fun, huh? I'm actually not looking forward to it. The guy is a great turkey hunter. Every year he consistently puts down a gobbler or two in the fall and the spring.I don't know if I canattribute that to him being a good turkey hunter or the fact he uses a "snipered" up .223! [&:]

Anyway, I'm talking to him and he tells me he clean misses a bird this morning at 250 yards and so does his nephew who also uses a"sniper rifle".Usually, he aims for the neck and downs them everytime. I told him I was bringing the 12 gauge and not my .223 cal. He says, "Well, we'll have to get them in pretty close since you're bringing that. They are pretty spooked right now." I'm thinking yeah I bet sinceeveryone isshooting at them.:eek:

I'm sorry but wheres the fun shooting a bird so far away? I wanted to hunt together to spend some "bonding time" together but I'm thinking I just want to go off by myself and do my own thing now. Good thing I decided not to bring my bow. That would have been unheard of! There are other things in the deer woods that I don't agree with but I bite my tongue.

My fiance knows I don't agree with his hunting style. She understands what type of hunter I am. I'm lucky to have her.:)

Sorry fellas, just needed to get that one off my chest.

Good news though. My dad and I are going Friday morning.

Germ 04-14-2008 06:37 PM

RE: Turkey hunting w/ future father-in-law...yay

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Well, just got off the phone planning a turkey hunt with my future father-in-law. Sounds like fun, huh? I'm actually not looking forward to it. The guy is a great turkey hunter. Every year he consistently puts down a gobbler or two in the fall and the spring.I don't know if I canattribute that to him being a good turkey hunter or the fact he uses a "snipered" up .223! [&:]

Anyway, I'm talking to him and he tells me he clean misses a bird this morning at 250 yards and so does his nephew who also uses a"sniper rifle".Usually, he aims for the neck and downs them everytime. I told him I was bringing the 12 gauge and not my .223 cal. He says, "Well, we'll have to get them in pretty close since you're bringing that. They are pretty spooked right now." I'm thinking yeah I bet sinceeveryone isshooting at them.:eek:

I'm sorry but wheres the fun shooting a bird so far away? I wanted to hunt together to spend some "bonding time" together but I'm thinking I just want to go off by myself and do my own thing now. Good thing I decided not to bring my bow. That would have been unheard of! There are other things in the deer woods that I don't agree with but I bite my tongue.

My fiance knows I don't agree with his hunting style. She understands what type of hunter I am. I'm lucky to have her.:)

Sorry fellas, just needed to get that one off my chest.

Good news though. My dad and I are going Friday morning.
It's tough, I know. My FIL and me hate each other, LOL At least you guys hunt together. My FIL did not even come to the wedding, so be thankful for what you have. Remember someone always has it worst;)

twildasin 04-14-2008 06:37 PM

Flip him out and take your bow!!:D

Rory/MO 04-14-2008 06:41 PM

even if we could legally use rifles here, theres no way in hell i would, same with baiting
i guess its when personal ethics comes in though, everyones different

npockat32 04-14-2008 06:47 PM

yeah I would be upset too. So much more fun to get them closer to either shoot them with a shotgun/bow. Hunting turkeys with a rifle just doesn't get you the experience you are suppose to have turkey hunting. I love to set up in the morning and then move if need be to wherever they are gobbling!

Steven McBee 04-14-2008 06:58 PM

im not saying its easy, but its pretty dang simple to get a turkey within 300 yards of you, its those last 60 that seem impossible which is why a bow or shotgun is so challenging and much more fun.....i could kill at least 20 turkeys a day if i used a rifle

Finch 04-14-2008 07:02 PM

Germ

I guess you're right. Now I know some do have it worse. I'm just glad we don't hate each other. That wouldn't be good.

Austin/WI 04-14-2008 07:11 PM

Germ

I guess you're right. Now I know some do have it worse. I'm just glad we don't hate each other. That wouldn't be good.
My GF's (unofficially my Fiance) parents despise me, so I kinda know what you're talking about Germ. I know her father used to hunt both rifle and bow, I would love to get him out into the woods but have a feeling that it wouldn't go well...He doesn't like me as it is, and if I show him up it really wouldn't go well;):D

Germ 04-14-2008 07:16 PM

Germ

If we ever meet, I will tell you some stories, he's truly a nut job[&:]

_Dan 04-14-2008 07:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Germ

If we ever meet, I will tell you some stories, he's truly a nut job[&:]
Can I come too? I have some good ones to share as well. [&:]:eek: