Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bear calling

Old 04-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Default Bear calling

Anyone here ever hunt bears by just predator calling?? Just looking for some input on the subject. I drew a tag in an area where you cannot bait or use dogs. Was planning on rifle hunting spot & stalk, but may try with my bowcalling fromtree stand (rifle backup if he won't commit )
Old 04-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bear calling

I've never done it but I know it can be done very successfully if done right. I've seen a few hunting video's with them using predator calls, pretty neat stuff.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I wasn't hunting them but one ventured by about 150 yards out and I called it to the base of my tree with a fawn in distress call.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Cool pic Rob and well done!!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:48 PM

It works great. I've called in a lot of black bears in AK with a hare in distress call and one in ID by bawling on an elk cow call. Just be ready for them before you start blowing on the call and have a plan for what you're going to do if one lands in your lap. Remember, you're inviting them to dinner.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have a cub in distress call. Haven't really worked it to vouche if it works, but it seams like a decent call to add to to your collection. If anything, the preditor calls will probably call in the foxes, wolves or there preditors to help pass the time waiting for a bear.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

There is only ONE way I'd try to call in bears and that would be having a BIG gun in hand. I'd feel pretty confident with that new one you are using.

Sorry I don't have any other tips other than a study in PA showed black bears ate more fawns than coyotes did, so a fawn distress might be pretty good call.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I called in a big momma bear with 3 cubs one evening while bow hunting, the action was slow for deer , so I tried for a fox with a mouth call. I thought the cubs were going to climb my tree. The only time I wanted to trade my bow for a large gun. I think I could have whooped the cubs but momma was a different story.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

There is only ONE way I'd try to call in bears and that would be having a BIG gun in hand. I'd feel pretty confident with that new one you are using.
Notice I said BLACK bears! I won't blow on a fawn in distress call in BROWN/grizzly bear country without a big LOADED rifle in my lap. Had a friend try it. He had to come home for new undies after he had a sow charge in right in front of him in under a minute. He hadn't even chambered a round yet...
Old 04-14-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

If you can't bait, use a vanella lure. Around here, black bears will come to that almost as fast as a bait pile.

Quick Reply: Bear calling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.