Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scouting Cameras >

Scouting Cameras

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting Cameras

Old 04-13-2008, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scouting Cameras

I was at Cabela's on Friday and was amazed at how much better schouting cameras are today than they were 4-5 years ago. One of my hunting spots has more theft than the state of Montana so I haven't purchased a trail cam since my three were stolen, recovered, and stolen and never found again.

Has anyone used one of the cheaper digital cameras? I used to use the 35mm ones and figure I can save a fortune in film. I am wanting to get one soon for my primary hunting spot and noticed they have SD card capabilities now for storage so I can check out the pics without leaving the woods!! I also saw that they are anywhere from 2 megapixels up. Can anyone give some feedback on the digital cams and which ones to avoid, how many megapixels I can get away with, which ones trigger well and actually capture the deer instead of their backsides?
Old 04-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting Cameras

I have an old 35mm camera from 5 years ago and haven't used it much the last 2-years, as the film thing is a pain in the butt.
So I bought the cheapest camera possible this winter with my cabelas gift cards.
2 Wildview for $100, 4 sandisk cards for $24 and 4 sets of rechargeable c-batteries.
The batteries last about a week and I can go in the field and swap out cards and batteries once a week.
My theory is if they can be stolen, they will, so I figured it was cheap money for two cameras and accessories.
I only need the cameras to see if there is bone on the deers heads, not for any photo contests.
So far I like them, check out the night time pic.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
JT
Spike

I've got the cheapest Stealth Digital. 2.0 megapixel. The pics are very clear and is all you need to see what is wandering around. I spent the extra $35 bucks and got the 12Volt battery that I put at the base of the tree and cover up with a bunch of branches. I can leave that sucker in the woods for months and then just recharge it.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the feedback Ed- This will do just fine plus has a usb cable, I can get an adaptor and go right into my Crackberry or bring my laptop and download from there. I got a perfect spot for this and nobody should see it. Killer work on the cabin by the way!!
Old 04-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

I went and got the moultrie D40 and have great success with it. First day I got 3 does, then I moved it to my turkey spot and got a tom attacking my decoy. I moved it Saturday night to a trail I knew dozens of deer crossed and caught two yotes in the picture. I only have the TV adaptor right now, but plan to get the USB tomorrow.

Best $84 spent!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 AM

To be honest, I am a minority owner in a realatively new business venture that had produced an outstanding new camera that is well worth looking at. It's the SmartScouter (http://smartscouter.com/ssDefault.aspx) and I think it is very worth your while to check it out. It allows for remote viewing of your cam pics from a personal computer or cell phone. You never have to disturb your hunting area and possibly contaminate it with human scent not to mention the time, effort and cost associated with checking your cameras. I think this camera is the next logical advancement in game scouting technology. It's available directly from SmartScouter.com and will also be in the next Cabelas due out at the end of April as well as the upcoming archery catalog. L@@K!!