Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Gaiters or snake boots? >

Gaiters or snake boots?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gaiters or snake boots?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Gaiters or snake boots?

Ok i am debating on buying a pair of cabellas snake gaiters or buying a pair of snake boots. From what i have seen, it looks like the gaiters will go up higher on the leg, up to 23" on the XL's (which i am). Anyone have any thought on the two? I'm trying to prevent rattlers from taking a bite out of me during my summer bowhunt I also think the gaitors might be cooler, but what do i know, thats why i'm asking you! Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Gaiters or snake boots?

I use gaiters. You can wear whatever boots are comfortable with them and they'll give you equally good protection.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why dont you just do what any other normal human being would do.................RUN!!!!!![:-]
I really dont know but am curious to hear what people prefer!!
Old 04-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Dominant Buck

You have poisonous snakes in Oregon???? I didn't know that. What kind and how many? I wouldn't even worry about them there. When I lived in Georgia I had both. The boots at that time were big and heavy. todays snake boots are much more user friendly. Gaiters are hot. I would think the type of terrain would be the deciding factor. If I were moving back to Georgia I'd be getting the boots.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use Red Head Bayou snake boots. They are comfortable enough for an all day hike/hunt.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use boots. I have had two rattlers hit me about mid calf. I was down in South Texas helping a friend do some telemetry on quail. Scared the Crap-ola out of me. I trust them.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM

Yes there are a lot of rattlesnakes in oregon, east of the cascades. Where i hunt is high dessert, very very rocky, lots of juniper and brush. Snakes in July and August in drainagaes and the rocks are a plenty. They are real bad near watering holes too, i'd just like to know im good to go with a little protection. I stood next to a 4.5 footer while glassing over a hill, he didnt rattle at all and was coiled up within honestly 1 foot of me. He did however rattle after i blasted him with a .357
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've been debating boots vs. gaiters too. My hunting buddy killed a big copperhead last weekend in our turkey/deer hunting woods so I'm thinking I'll have one or the other bought before this weekend's turkey hunt for sure.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:06 PM

I think im going to go with the gaiters, you can wear your normal boots and just throw the gaiters on. I dont see how a snakes fang could punturce my danners anyways.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the gaiters. Both the gaiters and the boots are hot but the boots are much worse. You can also take the gaiters off for a while it you want. You don't have that option with the boots.