Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Newbie question on expandables >

Newbie question on expandables

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Newbie question on expandables

Old 04-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Newbie question on expandables

x2
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

will they shoot exaxtly like my field point?
Mine do.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:49 PM

You can ask this question to a hundred different people and probably get a hundred different answers. When I started bowhunting I used mechanicals because I started with an old old bow, they were the only broadheads that I could get to fly reasonably well. Now that I've upgraded, if you tune your bow right you're going to get any decently made braodhead to fly like field tips out of your set-up. I think we as hunters blame broadhead a lot of times when the real probably is a set-up/tuning problem. As for blood trails, you can shoot ten deer with the same set-up in the same spot and have ten different blood trails. You're going to win some, your going to lose some no matter what equipmentyou have.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

will they shoot exaxtly like my field point?
Mine do.
Mine do also!
Old 04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

So many factors go into whether a blood trail is a good one that you cannot make a decision based on a sigle deer. I don't feel there is a head out there that can absolutely guarantee an awesome blood trail on every shot.
Best answer I've seen on a broadhead thread!!!
X100! Complete pass through, double lung shot and the deer is recovered within 50 yards and there's a problem because there wasn't a "good" blood trail!? Sounds to me like the hunter and the broadhead both did their jobs. I'm guessing the body cavity was full of blood.How long was this deer on it's feet after the hit? 2-3 seconds? Party on Wayne!
Old 04-06-2008, 06:02 PM

I found a place that was clearing out all of its broad heads last year, so I bought about a dozen different kinds of expandables and tried them. they all fell extreemly close to the others on the target. that being said I am not a shooting machine but do well at 30-40 yards. did not feel the need to test them further out since 40 was my max. yardage. The one thing that did set them apart was longjevity. some of the cheaper heads simply did not last more than 3 shots before blades came off in flight (no blade hole in target, and blades missing on head). I like NAP's expandables and do not think they needed to be improved. design was sound IMO.
I didn't use them on deer, but did shoot squrrels with them. Worked good
Old 04-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks everyone - I believe I'll try the rage and if I don't get the same point of impact, I'll stick with Shockwave.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with you guys. different deer bleed diferently. Key for me is a low exit wound (hunt from a tree when possible). I use fixed blades myself. A few years ago I thawt bout switchn so I bought some "Grimm Reeper" mech. They shot great! But I broke 2 blades off them shooting into a layerd target. Long story short...I called the company and complained, they sent me new blades. I thought if they cant hold up to foam they ll never hold up to bone so I swore them off. I started ysing them for small game (rabbits ground hogs squirrels ect.) I have shot one particular head into roots rocks you name it ALOT. All be it the blades are far from sharp but I have yet to break anothet blade! I think I may sling one at a deer this year.

Just thought it was a cool story!