Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Someone took out my bright eyes! >

Someone took out my bright eyes!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Someone took out my bright eyes!

Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Someone took out my bright eyes!

Are some of you saying that without Flagging tape/bright eyes or GPS you would get lost in the woods??? Seriously?? I really do feel sorry for you!
Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting opinions. I myself believe in not mucking up the forest as well. I take out all the trash I bring in. My tacks though are about every hundred yards. The particular spot I'm talking about is about 600 yards into the woods. Some of it is very thick and in the dark you will get twisteda bit.I don't believe one tack every 100yds is overkill.

I seemessing withother people's stuff kinda like keying someone's car when they're not there to do anything about it. It's just a very "punk" thing to do.

GPS is in the works, I just have to get the checkbook to agree first.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I draw a treasure map & use a compass. 40 paces east. Turn left and walk to the dead tree. Head sw 35 more paces to the mossy rock. Turn ssw and 107.5 paces to the tree.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

Interesting opinions. I myself believe in not mucking up the forest as well. I take out all the trash I bring in. My tacks though are about every hundred yards. The particular spot I'm talking about is about 600 yards into the woods. Some of it is very thick and in the dark you will get twisteda bit.I don't believe one tack every 100yds is overkill.

I seemessing withother people's stuff kinda like keying someone's car when they're not there to do anything about it. It's just a very "punk" thing to do.

GPS is in the works, I just have to get the checkbook to agree first.
How about I leave one coke can every hundred yards.......not much is a 100 acre track of woods.....

That tack is no longer yours when you leave it in the woods...It you want it to be yours...leave you name and address so this "Punk" can mail it to you......

Honestly can't you find your way around in the woods??

Old 04-05-2008, 09:54 AM

some federal land I hunt they are not legal . I pull them out all the time . It is sad that some people need that many tacks in the woods to find a tree .
[/quote] If you hunted the scrub oak like I have where I live it is very diffacult to find your stand with out them and i spend more time in the woods i hunt then anyone in fact nobody goes where i go cause of that so i find them very helpful even stands i have hunted for 30 years
[/quote]

Really you have hunted in an area for 30 years and you need markers to find your stands????

I hope you have reflectors on you driveway.....
Old 04-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

hmmm, I never thought about it that way butI don't consider reflective tacks as litter.They're so little and don't really get in anybody's way. Hey let me ask you this... Ifbright eyes aren't illegal, why mess with them? If you dotake them downthough they are presumably legal, then what would stop you from removing someone's legal mineral lick?
I've found trails that were marked with over 60 tacks.[:'(]
I don't have a problem with using a little descretion. A guy I know puts 3 In the tree he wants to hunt from and maybe a few here and there along the way. I also agree that the tacks are much better then the flagging tape. I also see flagging tape and tacks that were abandond and not removed. UGLY!!!!! My point is I don't ugly up the woods for other people so I wish they wouldn't do it to me.

If you don't put out a lot of tacks maybe I won't find your mineral lick.
I agree Magic, these damn ribbons look terrible in a woods. People up where I bear hunt have these things littered all over and it pisses me off. Take them down when your done and it wouldn't be a problem. I don't mind the tacks, there not noticeable when driving around and you can't see them from the road. We use the tacks on some of our bear stands where its tough going. Northern Minnesota can be a bugger in spots. We also make marks in the tree's with a knife going in on our baits, it works real good.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
Typical Buck

Ditch the bright eyes for trails. Just signals other folks about your hunting. They're nice to put on your hunting tree. I put four on my hunting trees about 12 feet up when I'm climbing down. Makes for a great reference point when getting on a blood trail after dark.A handheld gps is the way to go.To your tree and to your truck as quiet as can be. I still carry a compass, but rarely use it anymore. I've been in the woods since I was a kid, but I'd never be able to find a tree a mile into the woods around here in Virginia, especially on a moonless night. Nothing but rolling hills. Like anything else, practice. Practice on getting in and out of a location in the dark. Use creeks, ridges, stumps,strange looking trees, anything that stands out. You'll be surprised how quick you'll start seeing in "night" vision.I've been lost, or misplaced if you will. It ain't fun. Know your terrain and you'll be fine.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

They're so little and don't really get in anybody's way.
So are cigarette butts, but I don't leave them in the woods! I can see using a few tacks but that ribbon goes when Ifind it. That is littering, and real unsightly!![>:]It's a shame when you can't find your own stand site even with the use of a light. That tells me that hunter doesn't REALLY know his woods.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:24 PM

I think using a light is a negative in finding ones way around in the woods.. With a light one only has tunnel vision. Turn the light out and after a couple of minutes it is amazing how well one can see.

Look at tree tops, shapes, stumps, count the number of dips, valleys, ridges, logs etc. One to two trips in the woods and it is second nature. If one uses a beam of light, you miss the big picture and see only a fraction of the environment. If you need to mark a turn use a rock or a limb something that blends in nature and doesn't say I'm a rooky and I don't know my way in the woods; therefore, I am probably not versed in hunter ethics, safety, and true hunting skills.

Use skill and not litter to find your way in the hunting environment. Sure it takes a little self training, but it is part of the skills of being a true woodsman.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said.

Quick Reply: Someone took out my bright eyes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.