Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon... >

I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Default I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Well, I heard something today that I found to be completely ridiculous. The fiance and I (yes, I'm getting married soon[:-]) went to meet the DJ who will be working the reception. Seemed like a pretty stand-up guy and we've seem him in action too. Somehow we got on the subject of bowhunting. This is where it gets interesting. We were sharing stories and then he told me one that intrigued me, to say the least. He double-lunged a buck and it took that buck 4 hoursto die. Supposedly, he shot the buck and watched it run up the hillside and fall over. It then rolled-over and kicked its legs up into the air. The deer then rolled back over and sat in the bedded position and finally expired about 4 hours later.

He then went on to say "If I don't hit one directly in the heart than I'll wait at least 8 hours before tracking." I like to keep an open mind about things but c'mon. Seems a little impossible IMO for a deer to live 4 hours on a double lunged shot. Maybe this guy needs to brush up on his anatomy.[&:]
Old 04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

I don't know, I've seen a double lunged buck run a long ways.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Splitear_Leland

true dat, idoubled lunged a buck one time and he ran more than half a mile!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

DOuble Lung they got about 5 seconds of air! No if and or buts about it!I beleieve there was a story on here b4 about someone shooting a deer double lung and it living for a ridiculous amount of time! I dont see how you live when you can not breath?
Old 04-03-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me to believe a double lung hit animal of any kind live more than minutes I'd have to see it for myself. One lung sure... Double no way...
Old 04-03-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to see the anotomy on that those deer I would bet they were single lung and possibly some muscle or diaphram around the lung. You put on threw the center of both lungs its lethal within seconds.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:23 PM

I agree with that but could that buck run for 4 hours or live for 4 hours after his 1/2 mile sprint?

I'm not necessarily saying a buck can't run a long ways but can one live 4 hours after being shot through both lungs? At least this guy is willing to wait out what he thinks is less than a marginal shot. Props for that but I think waiting 8 hours to track a double lunged deer is excessive.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I agree with that but could that buck run for 4 hours or live for 4 hours after his 1/2 mile sprint?

I'm not necessarily saying a buck can't run a long ways but can one live 4 hours after being shot through both lungs? At least this guy is willing to wait out what he thinks is less than a marginal shot. Props for that but I think waiting 8 hours to track a double lunged deer is excessive.
Double Lung I watch them fall and pack up and go get them!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: twildasin

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

Double Lung I watch them fall and pack up and go get them!
Ditto. I guess anything is possible though.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't doubt anything anymore, but that seems unlikely. What I wonder is if you catch a certain part of a deer's lung if it would still have partial use of that lung. For example, in this case if you caught the top lobe of the lung toward the back and the deer fell over maybe the way the deer was laying would create a seal over the wound and prevent the lung from filling with blood. It is possible that the deer could survive some time with partial use of one lung. This is all theory.

Any thoughts?

Quick Reply: I know deer are incredible animals but c'mon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.