Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how does weather affect turkeys >

how does weather affect turkeys

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how does weather affect turkeys

Old 04-03-2008, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default how does weather affect turkeys

What is typical good weather for turkeys and what would be considered bad weather
Old 04-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: how does weather affect turkeys

Well I'm far from an expert, but I have killed about 15 of them in the last 12 years or so and called in probably another 15 for others. From what I've seen, there really isn't any "bad" weather for turkeys. If it's raining, I'll setup a blind and decoy spread and stay dry and have killed a few this way. They seem to head to the fields when its raining/snowing, or so windy enough that their eyes/ears aren't able to detect danger in the timber.

The only thing I've seen that really affects behaviour other than heading to open places like this is fog/rain/cloudy days seem to make them come off the roost later.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Well I'm far from an expert, but I have killed about 15 of them in the last 12 years or so and called in probably another 15 for others. From what I've seen, there really isn't any "bad" weather for turkeys. If it's raining, I'll setup a blind and decoy spread and stay dry and have killed a few this way. They seem to head to the fields when its raining/snowing, or so windy enough that their eyes/ears aren't able to detect danger in the timber.

The only thing I've seen that really affects behaviour other than heading to open places like this is fog/rain/cloudy days seem to make them come off the roost later.
100% agree ... I love those rainy days for turkey
Old 04-03-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

Very well stated. I also notice just right after it rains they really hit the fields to dry off their feathers.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Rick, covered everything and appreciate the feedback
Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

oops I meant Matt[&:]
Old 04-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Really have to agree with the others on this , there is no bad weather for turkey hunting.
You just got to do some scouting to find out where there roosting , feeding and struting , then set up accordingly.