Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Your last buck:  Food Source / Travel Route / Bedding area? >

Your last buck: Food Source / Travel Route / Bedding area?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Food Source (Before 10/25)
5.88%
Food Source (10/25 - 11/20)
10.29%
Food Source (After 11/20)
5.88%
Bedding Area (Before 10/25)
2.94%
Bedding Area (10/25 - 11/20)
1.47%
Bedding Area (After 11/20)
2.94%
Travel Corridor (Before 10/25)
8.82%
Travel Corridor (10/25 - 11/20)
45.59%
Travel Corridor (After 11/20)
16.18%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Your last buck: Food Source / Travel Route / Bedding area?

Old 04-03-2008, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your last buck: Food Source / Travel Route / Bedding area?

Well He was in rut on a travel route coming from the bedding area to my calls in a natural funnel!Shot on 10/30 at 730am!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Opps read the "archery part" after I picked (after 11/20 travel)Archery was actually on a food source Oct 30th.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put down food source, but only because I was sitting on a food plot. This buck was chasing a doe really hard, I watched him run her out of a bedding area and across the food plot. Niether one of them had intentions of feeding, just happened to be where he chased her to, then he made the mistake of stopping. Last mistake he made!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wel I put my vote in for food source after 10/25, but there was another during the same time frame in a travel corridor. The first was going into standing corn, the second chasing 2 does.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Shot him in the morning, in a travel corridor just on the edge of a protected sanctuary that I never touch or go into other than a quick walk through in February looking for sheds. My last 2 bucks came from the same stand, on the same day of the year, within 1/2 an hour of each other.

I know where I would be this Fall!

My last buck was shot November 12, chasing does in a small woodlot.

Good post!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:23 AM

Caught him cruising through a funnel.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like the vast majority of the success comes in natural funnels and travel routes - especially when buck activity spikes around 11/1.

One thing I'm noticing - and I'm not sure if it's just because nobody tries it, or whether it's just ineffective - is the lack of success hunting bedding areas.

Personally, once the seek phase starts - I observe a fair amount of buck activity cruising likely doe feeding areas and likely doe bedding areas... And it's not outside the bounds of the game to set up for a bowhunt right in or around a doe bedding area. At that point - it doesn't matter if you bump out the does. The bucks are coming to look for them - so naturally, the boys willhit up the most likely areas - they don't know that the does arebumped outuntil they get there.

I guess we're looking at the paradigm between "destination hunts" and "travel route" hunting.

There are times when a doe bedding area is situated such that a cruising buck has no option but to walk right through it - and can't scent check it from afar. For example, if you have a ridge where does are known to bed - on a calm day, with rising thermals - a buck has to walk that ridgetop to look for receptive does. The wind is putting him at a disadvantage, and he has to march right through the middle ofit. If you're "doe hunting" a doe bedding area might not be the best option, but when you're trying to lay the smack down on a cruising buck - sitting right in the middle of his likely "destination" isn't always a bad idea.

These can be very productive hunts. Disruptive, yes. But if it's a one-and-done scenario - not always a bad idea.

That's not to say that you can go wrong hunting in a travel route, though.

I've done it all - shooting bucks on the feed, in the funnels, and cruising the bedding areas... But these results clearly show that the majority of our damage is done in travel routes between "destinations."

Good stuff guys - keep voting.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

11/3/07 and 11/9/07 both in travel corridors. The first one was from food to a bedding area. The second was a funnel between two large tracts of timber.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Travel Corridor-- November 16.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:18 AM

A travel route which has a food source in the middle of its major feeding area and bedding area.

Quick Reply: Your last buck: Food Source / Travel Route / Bedding area?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.