Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 It used to be just something to shoot.... >

It used to be just something to shoot....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

It used to be just something to shoot....

Old 03-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It used to be just something to shoot....

My Father's passion when he got older was Turkeys! I never understood it until he explained it to me! I take all my hunting the same way, Deer, Coyotes, Turkeys and small game with the same passion, anything to get me in the woods, al lot of time not even hunting!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well said Jeff, once it gets ahold of you its in likea tic.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

man i get the fever every year! my old man really turned me onto it!
Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I say I may try it this yearI know it's never "really" appealed to me..and I'll watch that old guy paint pictures beforeI watch a Turkey Hunt Video {Yawn}.

I hope there is something about it, but honestly I can't even get excited about it.

I'm more excited about the fact that my County for the first time ever (in my memory) is 99.9% gong to have an either sex fall turkey season. (Talked to a GW yesterday the vote is this week and he said it's all but in).

Expanding my targets in the fall woods..NOW that excites me.

Spring has always been about Golf for me..I'll try Turkey and se if It can pull me in!
Old 03-30-2008, 05:00 PM

I have to get a small game liscence, I could've gotten one last year bow hunting for deer. One jumped in from out of the swamp at about 20 yards from me, would've been a nice Jake too.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

I started turkey hunting about 5 or 6 years ago. Can't really remember why. Probably just because it was something to hunt and had a spring season. I didn't know anything about it and none of my buddies turkey hunted so I was left to read and watch videos. I bought some mouth calls and got them down fairly well but without actually calling in some birds, didn't know if I really sounded o.k. or just thought I did. I hunted a few years, actually stumbled through what I thought was turkey hunting, and could get a few answering me but never could get one that I could see, let alone shoot. Then a few years ago, I can't remember if it was opening day or not, but real early in spring season, I went out before work, through up a pop-up, set out a hen and jake decoys and started scratching on a slate. I had answers almost immediately and I kept scratching and they kept getting closer. I had the pop up set back in some cedars that were in a C-shape. Pretty soon they were gobbling right behind me! Man, was I pumped. I put down the slate, got my bow ready and waited for what seemed like 15 minutes but probably actually less than a minute. I'd seen this movie before. They get close, they don't like something, and the next gobble you hear is off in the distance. I clucked the mouth call a few times and got a loud gobble to my left. Then 2 toms come walking in, one in full strut, the other stepping and bobbing, seemingly looking in every direction at everything. I waited until they got straight out in front of me, the one never breaking strut and the other still wary. They both looked like good birds but I decided I'd take the one in strut. I released my arrow, hit the bird in the right leg, he jumped and squawked, the other bird seemed like he ran around in a few circles before finally sprinting off. My bird flopped a few times then hobbled off in the woods. I jumped out of the tent in hot pursuit. Ended up catching him and putting a end to a sweet hunt. Bird was 24 lbs, 9 inch beard, 3/4" spurs. My first and to date only bird. I went out what seemed like 50 more times that year and called in a ton of birds, had 2 more great shot opportunities within 18 yards and both times (once from the right and once from the left) shot my tent. Didn't have the window zipped down enough! They got pretty edumacated after awhile and wouldn't come any closer than about 35-40 yards. But having them in eyesight and working calls and seeing their reaction was priceless. I actually thought it was more enjoyable than deer hunting. I'll be back at it whenever I can find a place with birds to hunt again. Absolute enjoyment.