Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mature Buck or old Gobbler? >

Mature Buck or old Gobbler?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mature Buck or old Gobbler?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Mature Buck or old Gobbler?

Just curious.....everyone who's sayingmature bucks......we are talking about taking these old boss toms with a bow, aren't we???
Old 03-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

A MATURE buck (4+.... or even 5+) is a hard thing to kill my part of the world.

That said... a two year old turkey will stir my blood as much as a big buck will.... at least up til the shot... deer don't effect me until after the shot.. turkeys effect me up until the shot.

If I had to give one up... I'd never miss deer hunting though...
Old 03-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Just curious.....everyone who's saying mature bucks......we are talking about taking these old boss toms with a bow, aren't we???

Yep.... weapon makes no difference to me. Mature bucks get nocturnal, and personally I think they are somewhat 'nocturnal by nature' (hip-hop horrayyy..... hooo....hayyyyy..hoooo....hayyyyy) Thats a joke... the under 35 crowd will get it

Ain't no such thang as a nocturnal turkey.... and that in my opinion automatically makes them easier.... the fact that in order to function, they must stir during huntable hours.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

The reason I said that is.....if you're talking about taking that boss tom with a shotgun.....and comparing that to killing a mature buck......Yeah....I'd say the mature buck.

But I thought in this forum ....I was assuming we were talking about bowhunting both. Just seeking clarification.....that's all
Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

The reason I said that is.....if you're talking about taking that boss tom with a shotgun.....and comparing that to killing a mature buck......Yeah....I'd say the mature buck.

But I thought in this forum ....I was assuming we were talking about bowhunting both. Just seeking clarification.....that's all

Doesn't even have to be bowhunting both. You can rifle hunt the deer and bow hunt the turkey, and I'll still say the deer is more difficult.

The way that I hunt anymore, I won't drop the hammer on a turkey until he is inside 35 yards... granted, my max range on a turkey with a bow is 25.... but experience has taught me that if you can get one inside 80,you can quite often get them in your lap. Some folks might tell you 60, but that depends on where you are hunting. 80 yards seems to be the bubble for me. If they cross the 80 yard line.... they are coming.... if not.. nothing will get them in short of a live hen directly behind you and walking away.

The bird I shot last spring with the bow was at 26 yards.... I know I said 25 max.... but I was comfortable, and the bird was holding still... that was good enough for me.... he was no monster, but he put on a fine show so I gave him the compliment.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Without a doubt the mature whitetail buck is harder to kill than a mature tom.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mature buck is tougher. But both are hard to kill and both are very rewarding IMO.
Old 03-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mature buck!! But they both move my blood!!! If turkeys could smell like deerwe would never kill them!!. We would all be talking about what caliber we are using this spring not what broadhead!!!
Old 03-31-2008, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say a mature buck, the nocturnal thing plays a huge factor where I hunt. I can glass the big boys right up until bow season then poof, gone. I get pics of mature (3.5+ year old) bucks on my trail cams right up until they shed their velvet, then they seem to dissapear until the rut, IF I even ever see them again. With old mature Toms, I still see them often during turkey season if there are old Toms on the property, locating them is relatively easy if they are in a vocal mood which is more often than not, coaxing them in can be hit or miss though. Imagine using a crow call to locate mature bucks on your property, heh.