Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Targetting One Buck ( ex Mr Mass) >

Targetting One Buck ( ex Mr Mass)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Targetting One Buck ( ex Mr Mass)

Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Targetting One Buck ( ex Mr Mass)

Those of you who have targetted one buck for a season or more what was the number of sightings of this target buck?

I've said in the past,I spent the better part of a year + after1 particular buck.

I first saw him pre-season eating apples of a tree.

Then saw him opening day in range but with heavy late summer foliage shot was impossible to even consider.

Saw him again ealy rut moving quickly along an adjacent field edge obviously checking scrapes and scent checking area.

And then early November. So basically 4 encounters 3 of which we're during season..none of which were succesful. (for me )

The second year crop rotations made this area ..honestly Not productive. But I tried unsuccessfully to wish him into what he'd done in the past. It didn't take long to realize he got big for a reason, and he wouldn't be setting foot on this land at this juncture of the season..and I moved on to hunt normally in other parts.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Targetting One Buck ( ex Mr Mass)

Some of the years I've seen the targeted buck I was hunting 3 different times. Other years sometimes 2 and sometimes just once. Usually it averages out to about 2 if I'm lucky. To be honest though to many times its zerooooo on the one I'm after!
Old 03-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for bring his name back up GR8[:@]

If he is alive, and I am 99.9% he is, he will be my target in 08[8D]
Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I saw the buck I called "the bull" one timein '05.

I saw him 3 times during the '06 season.......then 2 more times after the season ended.

I saw him on 11/2/07, 11/3/07 and killed him on 11/6/07.

I also had trailcam photos of him from the summer of '06 and '07. He's on the right in my avatar.

I'll also come clean and say that I would have taken another quality buck if the chance had been there. This was the only buck I saw in '07 that wasn't a yearling (I only saw 3-4 different bucks in '07).
Old 03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I wish we could target a buck for " all season "but they get pressured and pushed out into other areas. October 1st has 100's of waterfoul hunters running all over the place. Our rifle season falls during rut. Hunting this open country with bow during that season sucks since driving deer is still the main method for rifle hunters. Saftey is also a big issue.

With all that said... we break up the bow season in 3 time frames for how we hunt maturebucks.

1st period- Summer scouting though October 1st. It is about the only time we can pattern bucks. I'll stick with this time frame.

LASTYEAR

The buck I was after.
We scouted and filmed him in August. 1st time hunting him when the wind was right... produced a 80 - 90 yardsighting. 2nd time hunting him...I moved close to where I hadseen him. I watched himwalk right by my spot I hunted himthe first time. The next morning I ran into him on the way to my spot. Didn't take long to figure out why he came back early when the goose hunters started blast at daylight where he feeds. [:@] After that harvest took all my time. Tylerhad him in range ( 30 yards ) at the end of Septemberbut offered no shot.

The buck Tylerwas after.
We filmed himthe end of July. Saw him two more time before bow season while scouting. 2nd time hunting him, Tyler forgot his release as it was late and we were in a rush to get going. Hethought he had it in his pack. He had the buck walk by him at 10 yards. []I saw the buck the next time out at 60 - 70 yards. Tyler never saw himagain until he measured the rack for the guy that shot him during rifle season. 147 7/8 !! [&:]

2 YEARS AGO

Harvest killed my hunting time during the early part of the season.

Tyler had 3 encounters with his buck. All within 20 yards. First time he had a smaller buck walking along side him so Tyler had no shot. The next two times he was fighting with other bucks and no shotoffered.( edit ) forgot to say he sawthe buck6 times total while hunting him

3 YEARS AGO

I scouted up a big buck and got pictures the end of July.2nd time hunting him... I shot him at 12 yards.

Tyler was after a buckwe calledDagger. Saw him the first time at 70 yards but he got spooked by a truckdriving down a road and took off. Had another sighting but that was during rifle season with rifle in hand. Some nut on a 4 wheeler ( Boss ) was joy riding and scared him off. [:@]

I've got more but this is getting long.

Tim