Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Location - A key to killing a mature buck >

Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Location - A key to killing a mature buck

My take on deer densities would be similiar to Mobow's. I feel that in areas such as mine ( Jeff, our areas seem very similiar, lots of deer with an out of balance buck to doe ratio) bucks just dont need to travel much to find their girls.
I've never disagreed with that.

Bucks here often have very small "home" ranges. Due to this overabundance of deer, i have to either get lucky on a specific buck in the early season on feeding patterns ( these patterns arent constant cause im hunting backyard bucks) or hope that a hot doe will bring him by me during the daylight hours of the rut.
EXACTLY! And if you have access to his home range.......good for you.

I feel that the large deer density hurts my ability to see more mature animals during the day.
You lost me, here. As I stated earlier....this is why I hunt the does. I don't fool with hunting for bucks. I know how futile that is. I do, though, know that the bucks WILL find the does, eventually.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Bartender

Jeff I still think the property you hunt last year if you hunt it this year and keep your presence low key you might nail a P&Y.
Hold off on the doe's for a little bit so you are not dragging themout like the 8 or so you did last year. Save them
for the later season maybe? Mature bucks are so sensitive to any kind of pressure. Good Luck.

T
Old 03-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Where I hunt, to say that the herd is pushing maximum density would be a understatement. The buck to doe ratio is WAY out of wack. I have sits where I see 20+ deer in groups ranging from a single doe on up to 7,8 at a time. And no bucks trailing, chasing, following, etc. I am a firm believer that when you have that many does and that many deer, the bucks will not move, even during the rut. They dont have to. They dont have to seek out does, 'cause they're always around. The bucks will breed when they feel safest, at night. JMO and experience. Do you see a good buck every now and then? Of course, but not like you would think for a bow only county. Gotta shoot those does, for one it lowers the numbers for healthy herd #s, 2, it makes those bucks go looking, and thirdly it just might keep a young buck in your area rather than it getting kicked out by its mom.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

So your plan is solid.. to a point. I used to hunt the same way. I don't anymore.. I learned to go to the bucks.. and hunt them where they are in daylight and not where they may go eventually during daylight.
It's not really my plan. It's what I have found to be successful. I never planned to hunt this way. it just happened. I CAN NOT go to the bucks.
Thats a good point GMMAT. Sometimes going after the buck isnt necessarily the best option. During the pre-rut and chase phase when bucks are constantly crusing, then hunting does is a very sound game plan. Cause you are right, where the does are there will eventually be bucks. I've always said that having a group of does around your stand during the rut is far bettter than any decoy, call or scent available.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Gotta shoot those does
We took 8 off the properties I hunt and 31 (does), total, out of a single square mile.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sit in a tree stand and wait for a shot in a place that I think a good buck will cruise by.......
Old 03-28-2008, 07:48 AM

Gotta shoot those does
We took 8 off the properties I hunt and 31 (does), total, out of a single square mile.
GREAT GOOMA LOOMA!! I doubt seriously I even have 31 deer in any square mile I hunt......Let alone KILL that many.....
Old 03-28-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would hunt an area with a balanced herd any day before I would hunt an area with doe overpopulation. If your looking for a girl and there ain't many in the bar your at you will go bar hopping. so do the bucks. In order for this to work, THE WHOLE AREA has to have a balanced herd. I'm talking many square miles. If you shoot a few off your land, other deer will move in if there is feed and cover. Lack of does also gets the bucks more aggressive. THis is a huge advantage to the hunter. 10 guys and 1 girl in a bar = a fight. 10 guys and 40 girls in a bar= good times.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Not to keep the square quote boxes here going but I have a similar sized piece of property(1 sq. mile) that I hunt for management and in the past 3 years we have taken 130+ deer off of it. 90% does. How's my deer herd density doing?
ORIGINAL: mobow

Gotta shoot those does
GREAT GOOMA LOOMA!! I doubt seriously I even have 31 deer in any square mile I hunt......Let alone KILL that many.....
Old 03-28-2008, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!
ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I would hunt an area with a balanced herd any day before I would hunt an area with doe overpopulation. If your looking for a girl and there ain't many in the bar your at you will go bar hopping. so do the bucks. In order for this to work, THE WHOLE AREA has to have a balanced herd. I'm talking many square miles. If you shoot a few off your land, other deer will move in if there is feed and cover. Lack of does also gets the bucks more aggressive. THis is a huge advantage to the hunter. 10 guys and 1 girl in a bar = a fight. 10 guys and 40 girls in a bar= good times.

Quick Reply: Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.