Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Location - A key to killing a mature buck >

Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Location - A key to killing a mature buck

Old 03-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Location - A key to killing a mature buck

I'm guessing you didn't get the idea of my post... Jeff.

What everyone is trying to say is.. what your doing to hunt a mature buck is okay.. your hunting the doe's. But its maybe not the best way.

I used these 2 examples to show a difference between the 2 styles.. and I'm sure you could hunt your ground differently and with more success on mature bucks. Not that you didn't have success.. cause you did.. but maybe it could be better..??

Old 03-28-2008, 03:38 PM
Bartender

Mike got your PM box is full for reply.
I didnt mess you upby leaving work early did I?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I understood, Duke. Rob's been here. He can comment if he wants on what I have.....actually ....right here. I likely have places like you speak of on the land I have around me. I just can't get access to it....due to it being on someone else's land....or be it part of the parks system. If I could hunt those areas.....I'd have access to the thick, swampy areas......the ag crops......the THICK, THICK stuff.

I can't hunt these places. Wish I could.

Like I said....Rob's been here and walked my hunting land....and I trust his judgement pretty good. I'm doing what I can. I stated in my thread header that is was "A" way to hunt a mature buck. That's all. I was more leaning towards adreessing the herd density and how that has affected my ......well...how things have turned out for me.

So....I did get your point. I answered you honestly. I wish I had those places you mention. I'd employ your tactic in a minute. I'd be a fool not to try it.
I honestly can't though.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I didnt mess you up by leaving work early did I?
Na.. you didn't Tony. I thought maybe you just got busy. We'll do it this next week when we can get some warmth for once..

It would be great if spring finally arrived..
Old 03-28-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just trying to get this straight Jeff. And understand your situation better.

So.. how big of an acreage is your piece?

I realize you have an INSANE amount of doe's.. but you really can't get any closer to the bedding areas of some of these mature deer? Not even 100 yrds closer than where you usually hunt..?

I've personally hunted so many different spots.. farms.. public.. private.. and I have never hunted a piece I couldn't get a little closer to where I thought a mature buck was.. even if its by 50 or 60 yards and negates even seeing another deer.

I hunt with boundaries too.. but I still can get as close as I can. Or are you already hunting that "outer area".. and as close as you can be..??
Old 03-28-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I hunted the west side of the farm and saw deer nearly every time in stand.. Well.. one day.. something changed inside my head. I started hunting the east side shortly after. I took 2 mature bucks in back to back years while hunting the east side after that. Bucks I never would have taken on the west side of the property.. and I increased my mature buck sightings too. (I lost this farm a few years ago)
good story duke
I was fox trapping right behind a farmers house next to a small woodlot (maybe 4 acres) I caught the glimmer of sun off of a bucks antler. He was bedding in that little wood lot.
He was a dandy 10 pointer. I hunted that little spot and saw a 6 pointer. I also saw a spike one time while checking my traps. There was a well beaten trail coming from the nearest woods thru a swampy area to that woods. During rifle season a good friend of mine shot the 10 pointer comingdown that trail.
My point. there was all kinds of woods all around and those bucks were hiding out in that little woods right behind a farmers barn. They love to find those little out of the way spots where no one bothers them.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Dominant Buck

So.. how big of an acreage is your piece?
I have woodlots:

Opposite side of the road(10 acres)
My side of the road (24 acres) - NEVER hunted this area
My 3 acres (My home is on)
My side (24 acres)
15 acre spot I can't hunt in between, here
5 acre woodlot that I've taken my best two bucks
2 acre spot I can't hunt
15 acre woodlot
Opposite side of the road....(19 acres)

I realize you have an INSANE amount of doe's.. but you really can't get any closer to the bedding areas of some of these mature deer? Not even 100 yrds closer than where you usually hunt..?
I'll post an aerial of my hunting area in a bit......but imagine a road.....with 2-400yds of land along it (deep). Now imagine a man-made break line defining the other side of the land (the parks system). That's what I have to hunt. When I get to the parks land.....I'm SOL. Consequently, Duke....thats wher ethey like to bed.[8D]

I hunt with boundaries too.. but I still can get as close as I can. Or are you already hunting that "outer area".. and as close as you can be..??
Duke....When I shot my '06 8 pointer....he was working a licking branch. My arrow went through him and in his first leap he leapt into the parks system. Yes. I hunt right on top of it......legally.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

I just made an offer on 75 acres lease in the NO 2 county in Ohio

Location, Location, Location
see ya 'round, neighbor
Old 03-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Here's an aerial, DUke.

I'll draw on it later and show you whaere I have access.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:56 AM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

There are a lot of right places to Kill a bruiser Buck.

You just gotta be there at the right time!

Like my Grand Dad always said "Deer don't read Books"

Dan
dido on this statement.