Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you hunt out of a blind? >

Would you hunt out of a blind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you hunt out of a blind?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Would you hunt out of a blind?

My dad used my ameristep blind and nailed a deer with his black powder rifle last season. The deer came within 15 feet of the blind.

I have always hunted from stands, but he says the blind really helps with scent elimination. He says even if the wind swirls it doesn't matter as much. He just sprays scent control on the outside of the blind and it seems to work. He even smokes and doesn't worry that much about scent control.

So how many archers actually hunt out of blinds? If not, why wouldn't you?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you hunt out of a blind?

Immpressive!
I've considered this, more so, if it was for pouring rain...
Or maybe Turkey hunting.
I suppose once I stop having luck in a tree or get one as a present I'll wait awhile
Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Fork Horn

Tried it a couple of times - seemed to scare the bejesus out of the deer. I am going to try it again this fall - setting up the blind a before season and leaving it.

On the other hand - works great for turkeys. I have had them walk within a couple feet of it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: triggertrav

Tried it a couple of times - seemed to scare the bejesus out of the deer. I am going to try it again this fall - setting up the blind a before season and leaving it.
That is what my dad did. We placed it about 20 yards from the feeder and left it there 2 months before the season started. It was weird because we had very little activity for the first week we put it there, but they got used to it.

I normally hunt out of stands, but I think I am going to give this a try. Not to mention I won't have to haul my gear up etc.. I may switch off one day hunt from my stand the next hunt from the blind.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought one this winter and will try it this year. I like the scent control aspect and in bad weather it will allow me to hunt longer. I will try it for turkeys this spring as well.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm getting 2 of them this year to set up in thick cover along a couple well used trails to specifically use with my recurve and longbow.
There are no trees that will accomodate what i need with that intimate gear and the angles will be better......not to mention I can set them up about 8 yards from the trail.
This will be my first attempt to hunt whitetails from a blind but I think if I set them early enough and brush them in real well that I will be successful.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The terrain I hunt doesn't allow me to hunt from tree stands all the time as we have alot of brush and small trees. I bought a DB a few years ago just for the brush hunting that I do. If brushed in well it is awesome, and if you have the ability to set it up and leave it it works that much better. I have used this blind while on day hunts that are only 3-5 days long and have had success taking a few exotics and a few whitetails and a ton of hogsout of it, there again they need to be brushed in well.I will always have this stand in my arsenol of equipment, it is a very useful tool. I still hunt tripods and treestands where available.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

I have killed a few deer with a shotgun out of a blind while my girlfriend was hunting with me. It works out very well, especially if you have someone who moves around a lot. My girlfriend read a magazine and ate candy, and I still killed a deer less that 10 yards away, and it had no clue we were there. Just make sure you set it up a few days prior to hunting with it. I did that this year though, and my blind got stolen.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 PM

I like blinds a lot as long as you are on top of your game and set it up early enough the game tend to get used to it and arent bothered by it.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Archery Maybe..Gun season NO WAY.. unless that baby was draped with Orange..NO WAY!

Quick Reply: Would you hunt out of a blind?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.