Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NY AR pilot

Old 03-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default NY AR pilot

Pilot Antler Restriction Program
New York's pilot antler restriction program began in 2005 in two WMUs located primarily in Ulster County, and was expanded in 2006 to include two WMUs primarily in Sullivan County. The antler restriction stipulates that bucks taken in these areas have at least one antler with three points at least one inch in length to be legal. This standard is intended to reduce harvest of yearling bucks, allowing them to survive to older ages.

Buck take in each of these units dropped significantly during the first year of the program because many yearling bucks were not legal for harvest. As expected, buck take then increased in most units during the second year. However, buck takes in the Ulster County WMUs in 2007, the third year of the pilot restriction, were similar to 2006 takes. All of the pilot units are still below objectives.

The pilot program has demonstrated success in reducing harvest of yearling bucks and shifting the composition of harvest toward slightly older bucks. With data from all four units combined, harvest before the change was 57 percent yearlings, 29 percent 2.5 year olds, and 14 percent 3.5+ year olds. After the antler restriction, the take in these four units was 33 percent yearlings, 43 percent 2.5 year olds, and 24 percent 3.5+ year old bucks.

Article
http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/42292.html

These are the days I miss Altas insight. Anybody from NY hunt these counties?

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NY AR pilot

I only rifle hunted an area of Sullivan County on a property of about 500 acres. I only saw a small 3pt, but the week before two of my dads friends took a 130" buck and a 140" buck on the same property we hunted. I'm hoping that they add more counties to the list of AR areas.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do a lot of bowhunting in one of the Ulster county units in the pilot program.The unit I hunt just concluded year three I believe.Last year I saw the most 2.5 year old bucks I have ever seen before and killed either a 2.5 year old or 3.5 year old eight pointer in the archery season..This year in my spots sightings were way down in the archery season,I attribute that to the archery season being very warm so movement was suppressed and the fact that I left earlier than usual to go out to Idaho to hunt because of Thanksgiving falling early this year.
I really believe that the pilot program has been beneficial.Unfortunately our buck take per square mile is very poor,I believe in the one pilot unit it is less than one buck taken per square mile.
Old 03-21-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

trust me, i cant tell you first hand the pilot rule is working, its just a little insane in one area i hunt, they give me no doe tag, and i couldent shoot about 15 of the bucks i had in bow shooting range this year... its getting way over populated.Dident see a buck over 60" the whole year during the day time.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

The politics of the State of New York and you want to know what that you don't already know? If the state thinks it's a good idea it's only because they are using younger deer to carry some kind of contraband.

The state in order to control deer sends out sharp shooters and dumps the deer in the land fill. Another state I have no desire to hunt.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The state in order to control deer sends out sharp shooters and dumps the deer in the land fill
Could you list the areas you know this is occuring in?

Steve
Old 03-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SteveBNy

The state in order to control deer sends out sharp shooters and dumps the deer in the land fill
Could you list the areas you know this is occuring in?

Steve
Guy that runs/owns btreviews.com a proboards site told me. He's in the pokipsie area. No idea ifI spelled that right.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

That jump innumbers seems right in an AR implementation. Actually I am very shocked at the harvest being comprised 14% 3.5+ deer before AR's. And now that its 24%, that must be some pretty good hunting. I wonder what the breakdown here in PA is, even with our AR's I'd be suprised to see 3.5+ make up any more than 12-15% of the total harvest.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Percentage's really mean little without knowingthe numberthey are a percentage of.

14% and 24% could actually be the same total nunmber.

Steve
Old 03-22-2008, 04:18 PM

ABarOfSoap, couldn't you use your archery tag on a doe?

Quick Reply: NY AR pilot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.