HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What do you think about at full draw?(the crazy thoughts we have) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/238413-what-do-you-think-about-full-draw-crazy-thoughts-we-have.html)

PA Hardwoods 03-21-2008 06:08 AM

What do you think about at full draw?(the crazy thoughts we have)

I had an interesting discussion last night at the archery shop with some buddies about what you think about at full draw. It was our Traditional night when we have about 8 or 9 guys shooting longbows and recurves, so you could only imagine the responses we gave. [8D]LOL.

So what do you think about at full draw weather its on the 3D range, in the woods, or even just punching paper.

Im sure this will be an interesting topic;)

Well I guess I should clarify the question. I know everyone just focuses on the intended target and either goes through their shot process. But I know we ALL have had that time or times when we think about some crazy stuff at full draw. Thats what I want to hear about.

Rick James 03-21-2008 06:11 AM

RE: What do you think about at full draw?

When I'm shooting well I'm consciously focused on the x ring once I've hit my anchor point. Before that I'm focused on mentally walking through the steps in my shot sequence, and visualizingthat perfect shot. Once I hit anchor though and it all feels right, I commit andflip the switch and the only thing I'm thinking of is x ring. If something pops it's head up to break that concentration it's time to let down, regroup, and start over.

wallhangr 03-21-2008 06:11 AM

Usually talking my way thru the shot, like one more step.....

Splitear_Leland 03-21-2008 06:12 AM

I always concentrate on my form, and make sure that I'm ready to follow through after the shot.

125py 03-21-2008 06:15 AM

i am just aiming and making sure there is a clear shot

JoeRE 03-21-2008 06:21 AM

My mind is blank of everything buy the expected POI. Even when I am hunting I try concentrate on the exact POI only. When I am really in the zone I have had people speak to me from behind me and I do not hear them. I dont feel or hear a thing, and I get tunnel vision. I am thinking this may be a bad thing in the woods when I should still be aware of my surroundings through the shot but its how I shoot best. My next hurdle is to become more consistant with the concentration for wvery shot.

MNpurple 03-21-2008 06:23 AM

I try to think as little as possible, the whole draw process has become natural and if something isnt right I feel it immediately. Just focus on where I want to hit.

Its like golf for me, the more I concentrate and nit pick all aspects of my shot process, the greater my slice will be!

PA Hardwoods 03-21-2008 06:26 AM

Well I guess I should clarify the question. I know everyone just focuses on the intended target and either goes through their shot process. But I know we ALL have had that time or times when we think about some crazy stuff at full draw. Thats what I want to hear about.

PreacherTony 03-21-2008 06:33 AM

I always think ..... Gee, how am I gonna mess this one up:D

Or , I can taste those backstraps right now! :D

Either way, they both lead to misses ..... 2 ditches :eek:

Ben / PA 03-21-2008 06:35 AM

After getting solid peep alignment, level and pin on. I need something else to thing about because its the next second that either makes or breaks me on a good shot or a bad one. When I overthink it, its over.

GMMAT 03-21-2008 06:41 AM

I honestly think I don't have a conscious thought at the magic moment. What I have begun to do is tell myself....as soon as I decide to take an animal .....that that animal is dead. Itwent from "am i really gonna get a shot at this animal" to....."dead deer".

This is also about the time I quit being nervous before the shot. After the shot???? No comment.

Hunter Dan7 03-21-2008 06:45 AM

When im at my house i think... What if my dogs come running through about the time i fire. when im in the woods and im getting ready to shoot a doe i think... What if a buck will be here in 15 minutes.

Armybowhunter28 03-21-2008 06:46 AM

I always think please god dont miss the huge buck that just walked out infront of me.

When I am target shooting I really dont think anything.

GregH 03-21-2008 06:54 AM

I think about my aiming at the exact spot I want to hit.

Schultzy 03-21-2008 06:56 AM

I already have that spot picked out so I'm concentrating, concentrating, concentrating, concentrating, on that spot and releasing!

dukemichaels 03-21-2008 07:02 AM

I honestly think I don't have a conscious thought at the magic moment.
Same here.

Taking an animal has just become sub-conscious for myself. It's all memory. I seem to just fade out.. and totally rely on muscle memory from the moment I know I am ready to take this particular animal. It's so fundamental.. I can't even explain it.. but thought... their is none.

I am sure for many hunters this is normal.

BowHuntingFool 03-21-2008 07:09 AM

I pick a spot, concentrate and try not to think of those back straps until after the shot!;):D

BobCo19-65 03-21-2008 07:11 AM

Just to think of one, I sometimes have a statement made by John Schulz (and I hear it in his voice) refering to a Howard Hill concept saying,

"Upon release both hands do nothing".

TexasBowHunter 03-21-2008 07:20 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I honestly think I don't have a conscious thought at the magic moment.
Same here.

Taking an animal has just become sub-conscious for myself. It's all memory. I seem to just fade out.. and totally rely on muscle memory from the moment I know I am ready to take this particular animal. It's so fundamental.. I can't even explain it.. but thought... their is none.

I am sure for many hunters this is normal.
[/quote

X3 , I have to agree 100% with Duke on this one.

hatchet jack 03-21-2008 07:21 AM

I keep saying to myself follow thru, follow thru,follow thru,follow thru!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!til I release!

Hatchet Jack

Bullet Hole Bailey 03-21-2008 07:25 AM

"gotcha where i want ya and now im gonna getcha" :D

mobow 03-21-2008 07:29 AM

RE: What do you think about at full draw?(the crazy thoughts we have)

When target shooting, I mentally run through my shot process.

In the woods is another matter. It's such a surreal feeling, like a dream. I'm on autopilot, not really thinking about anything other than when to draw. I already know the range. On a deer, mentally I'm more busy in the moments leading up to drawing the bow. Once I get drawn and anchored, I couldn't tell you what happens, other than I see an arrow zip through a deer.

stikbow26 03-21-2008 07:39 AM

The last thing going through my mind is waiting for my camera guy to give the ok to shoot!!

twildasin 03-21-2008 08:04 AM

RELAX! Is what I want to think but alot of times excitement takes over and im like damn this will be easy just shoot it! That got me in alot of trouble before with bad shots and misses. Now I tell myself 1 more breath relax and squeeze!:D

shed33 03-21-2008 08:19 AM

its like running the football for me... intinct takes over and I sure as heck am not thinking about anything..other than killing the animal in front of me

virginiashadow 03-21-2008 08:22 AM

I focus on my breathing and follow though most of the time, as well as all the small things that are running through my head, so as to prepare for the unexpected..."which way do I think he is going to turn.......if he steps left, where is my shot angle....does he sense me......does this shot look good or should I wait.....etc."

LittleChief 03-21-2008 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: mobow
I'm on autopilot, not really thinking about anything...
Exactly what I was going to say. By the time I start to draw, I've already played the entire scene through in my mind. Once I get to full draw, I'm on autopilot.

CCPaHunter 03-21-2008 08:38 AM

I'm always telling myselfthat I about to take thelife of a large livingcreature. Do it right!

magicman54494 03-21-2008 09:49 AM

OK here's a few:
Whats my taxidermists phone number. BTW I missed that one!
I'm going to have to drag this hog a 1/2 mile by myself. I got that one:D

BigJ71 03-21-2008 09:52 AM

I think to myself......"Boy, I could really go for aPastrami sandwich right now."

:DJ/K....I really just concentrate on the exact spot I want to hit and everything else sorta fades away, I get really focused on the shot and my mind goes blank.

Arthur P 03-21-2008 10:12 AM

LOL! It's been so long since I've gotten to full anchor with a recurve or longbow that I've forgotten what I used to think. [8D]

Washington Hunter 03-21-2008 10:17 AM

I honestly can't remember thinking anything. Autopilot takes over as soon as I anchor and I won't remember thinking anything until the arrow is on its way. Its really like I blank out until after the shot.

GeneRagulsky 03-21-2008 11:02 AM

I am thinking, "Damn, that pin sure does move a lot!!!!"

tsoc 03-21-2008 12:07 PM

I like Big Johns response! Gee I wonder what the wife is doing right now? Actually I am making a conscious effort to keep my body relaxed,hands especially,feet and knees next.Then it is aim,aim,aim,aim,aim,explosion of the release,exagerate the follow through,watch the animal fall.

MOhunter46 03-21-2008 12:10 PM

I usually just think about having good form and following through after the shot.

KodiakArcher 03-21-2008 12:50 PM

Aiming, that's it; I think to myself "aim, aim, aim, aim..." until the shot goes off.

Cougar Mag 03-21-2008 12:54 PM

At full draw I don't think. I try to let my instincts take over and take the best possible shot. Thinking can and will cause target panic.

MdDave 03-21-2008 02:05 PM

on the biggest buck ive ever drawn on when i got to full draw i thought cant wait to call pap an tell him about this deer then ...wham...missesd! lol 3 weeks later a buddy killed it with a muzzleloader.... damn him!

hmthtrfan 03-21-2008 02:40 PM

i have had the sudden, "did I lock the truck" or "I hope my stomach doesn't growl", stupid brain synapse right before release...

jmbuckhunter 03-21-2008 02:44 PM

I have been guilty of picking out a pose for the mount!!:D