Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from >

OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

OK. Here's where I stir everybody up, not intentionally, its just my experience. But at what point does a buisiness owner/shop owner/employee really get to have expectations of a customer. My family, up until about 6 years ago owned the longest running family owned grocery store in the whole state of IL. We didn't get to put expectaions on our customers. OK, one, "if you walk out the door with it, we expect you to pay for it." That's about it. If you want to make money, nine times out of ten, youput up with all sorts of garbage. Just the nature of the beast. I was there for the consumer and not the other way around. Period.

Times have changed a little since then. I went to JC Penny's a while back to get a new suit. I couldn't even find someone to help. I guess they expected me to take the initiative in spending $500 bucks at their store. I went to another store, bought a suit and came back and proudly displayed it to the Penny's manager. I get the same treatment at Paducah'sGander Mountain and Local sporting good's stores. Pathetically Poor Service. Therefore I spend no money there.

If a shop wants my money, they'll need to get it the same way I do. Earn it.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Fork Horn

Good stuff guys, keep it going. SwampCollie I agree with alot of what you say all except for the kids, I like kids and would rather deal with the kids the some of the full grown guys who seem to know it all!
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

I just noticed Greg/Mo's post a little farther down. My comments probably seem to fit better there. not sure. Sorry.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is some of my issues even though some of them have already been stated.

[ul][*]Don't order something today and call back everyday for a week to see if it has come in, we'll call you.[*]We're a small shop and we can't carry everything on the market, but we'd be happy to order it for the customer.[*]Give me the benefit of the doubt that I know what I'm doing, yes I'm young, but I know what I'm doing. I really respect the ones that respect me.[*]Call us back after you've taken your bow home to tell us if we did a great job. This really makes my day. For example, I was out bowling one night with some friends, and some co workers. I was approached by a Dad and a son, who I recognize from the shop. They came up and told me what a wonderful job I did on their bows, and I will be working on them from now on. I told them just how much I appreciated that [*]I like the customers that cooperate and understand we are doing all that we can do to get their equipment fixed.[*]I know there are tons more but this is all I can come up with for now.[/ul]

I've met a ton of customers along the way that I've become really good friends with. I shoot with some of them every weekend. It's really not that hard to be a good customer, just talk to us a little bit, and cooperate.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mobow and SwampCollie hit all the nails right on the head.

I like customers that appreciate what I do for them and then tell me. We like to hear that we do a good job now and then.

I like customers that invite you on a hunt every now and then to show you their appreciation for going the extra mile for them when it was crunch time. We have a bunch of farmers and land owners that complain all the time about hogs tearing up their crops and such. You offer to kill hogs, and only hogs, for them but damn if they will take you up on it. They just need to bitch about something and its the same people year after year.

Don't bring your child in, that has never shot a bow before in his life, to buy a bow for himand go hunting with it that weekend. Or yourself either. It's not that simple.

Don't ask me what broadhad that same child should shoot and buy a 3 blade mechanical after I suggest a 2 blade COC head. IDIOT!

Don't ask a question if you don't wantto hear the answer. If you already have made up your mind then just do what you were going to do before you asked me.

Don't come to me the day after you wound an animal and couldn't find it and blame be for the equipment I sold you. I didn't sell you junk becauseI don't stock junk. Example..... "Those slick tricks you sold mesuck. I shot a big buck right through the broilder roomand it just hunched up and walked off and the blood trail was few and far between. I looked for an hour and didn't find it." Well guess what idiot. You didn't make a double lung shot. You made a liver shot at best. I'm not stupid so don't come in with that crap.

Don't friggin call me every single day about a part thatI ordered for you. I promis I will get my butt on the phone and call you just as soon as I see it come in! There is nothing I can do to expedite the process unless you want to pay for overnight shipping and an expedited service charge to the vendor which will add up to about $50 for a $10 part.

Don't come in just to sit around for hours at a time during the busy season. This isn't your personal lounge andI have a bunch of other stuff to do and a bunch of other customers to help.

Don't expect to get your bowreapired two days before you are going on a trophy Texas hunt when you knew that the string needed to be replaced last year or the limbs cracked last season or you decided to do your own work and broke something on your own and then don't sit there and lie to me.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 AM

As a costumer this is great to read cause it tells you what pushes your shop owners buttons (good and bad) so thanks and keep the posts comming this is a great read!!
Old 03-20-2008, 08:55 AM

Shawnee
You are right of course.
That is why I named the threadas a what would we "want" not expect.
Some customers are just going to be a PITA, that is justthe way they are.
Some of my best customers are that way. It's ok with me.

I think the overwhelming theme of the replies is that it is really nice to get a thank you now and then. I thank each and every one of my customers for their business and I mean it. It's nice when they let me know that they appreciate me too. It's that "2 way street" thing
Old 03-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shawneeslinger

OK. Here's where I stir everybody up, not intentionally, its just my experience. But at what point does a buisiness owner/shop owner/employee really get to have expectations of a customer. My family, up until about 6 years ago owned the longest running family owned grocery store in the whole state of IL. We didn't get to put expectaions on our customers. OK, one, "if you walk out the door with it, we expect you to pay for it." That's about it. If you want to make money, nine times out of ten, youput up with all sorts of garbage. Just the nature of the beast. I was there for the consumer and not the other way around. Period.

Times have changed a little since then. I went to JC Penny's a while back to get a new suit. I couldn't even find someone to help. I guess they expected me to take the initiative in spending $500 bucks at their store. I went to another store, bought a suit and came back and proudly displayed it to the Penny's manager. I get the same treatment at Paducah'sGander Mountain and Local sporting good's stores. Pathetically Poor Service. Therefore I spend no money there.

If a shop wants my money, they'll need to get it the same way I do. Earn it.
I totally see where you are comning from. But what I wrote is just some of the stuff that gets my goat. And I do tolerate people being on the cell phones while I stand there with their bow in my hands waiting for them. You'd never even knew I cared. I don't let things get to me at work. I'm a whole different person there, its business. You are right, I will put up with a lot of stuff from customers. My post is just about what would be really really nice, and also relating to other folks who have similar jobs as me in other places/shops, some of the funny/ironic/idiotic things we have seen people do.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM

Bump

Old 03-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great thread, beull! And I agree with this..

As a costumer this is great to read cause it tells you what pushes your shop owners buttons (good and bad) so thanks and keep the posts comming this is a great read!!

Quick Reply: OK, what would pro shop owners/employees like from

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.