Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mean V or STS

Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Mean V or STS

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Somebody just got SERVED.

The King speaks the truth!

I go on 2 other sites where they have Resource-How To forums that are as cool as it gets. Build your own anything, if you think you can, some take pride in making something for themselves! I wish HNI had a How to forum!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

The King speaks the truth!

I go on 2 other sites where they have Resource-How To forums that are as cool as it gets. Build your own anything, if you think you can, some take pride in making something for themselves! I wish HNI had a How to forum!
That's a great idea. I would love to see that. I really enjoyed the thread about making your own lighted nocks and made 3 of them even though they won't fit any of the arrows I shoot LOL.

As far as suppressors go, I really like MeanV's and the one that John showed us how to make is cool too. I'd probably try it if I didn't already have a MeanV.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

if i could have ordered a meanv i would have but unfortunatly dan doesnt make them to fit my bow (low brace height) so i went with a string tamer and it works great but first choice was meanv
Old 04-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Joel,

A string suppressor serves a few different functions... It's a device that is usually (when applicable) attached to the rear stabilizer bushing and stretches back to make contact with the string at brace.

Upon firing the bow, the suppressor serves to stop the string from going past brace (though it will obviously above or below at some point), thus enabling the shooter to wear bulkier clothing in the winter and not be as subject to "wrist slap" or, in this case, "clothing slap."

Its main functionality and benefit that has garnered accolades from legions of fans is both its vibration-reducing and, more especially, its sound-dampening abilities. Some also claim a "cleaner" release as well -- the concept being that the string doesn't oscillate beyond brace at the shot and "pull" at the arrow as it tries to release itself from the string. Those proponents have often claimed picking up a few extra fps as a result of that.

Now... for the question at hand.

I first started using MeanV suppressors before I had any idea of who Dan was as a person. I simply thought they looked MUCH cleaner than the blocky STS version. (And I say "version" for a reason; contrary to what the company would have you believe, they do NOT have exclusive rights to the concept -- and they were NOT the originators of the concept. Heck, I've still got a much-older version of a suppressor in my home archery shop still in its package made by Saunders called the Deadly Quiet. I had one of Saunders' supressors on my very first bow when I took my first deer and turkey...)

I like the idea of a custom-fit, dipped-to-match suppressor offering much cleaner aesthetics with top-notch performance and exemplary customer service. MeanV suppressors and Dan's feedback on his customer service have garnered somewhere near 30,000 responses across various internet boards -- with something like a 99.99% positive rating.

I've got a MeanV on every bow I own that doesn't come from the factory with its own suppressor.
Ok, I have a question, I just bought a 2005 Hoyt Vtec, and it does not have the threads to screw it into on the back side of whee the stabilizer screws in. So how do you mount one to a bow that s like this?
Old 04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Host of Hosts

PABuck HNTR, you OBVIOUSLY have an agenda here, it's quite clear to see.
What might that be?Come on! I can't have an opinion? Why you getting so defensive?

You've got a couple guys who feel the need to defend you. I felt the need to do the same. Seems alot of people have some sort of issue with MeanV for some reason. My point is that you started your own thread about your discovery. Why did you feel the need to post it again in a thread comparing the MeanV to the STS?

Whatever I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you. No need to. I said my peace and you got all upset. I can't help that.
But it wasn't my goal.

Somebody just got SERVED
WOW I really like how you used those colored letters and alternated the 2. Pretty darn talented. You really are the King.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: PABuck_HNTR

You've got a couple guys who feel the need to defend you. I felt the need to do the same. Seems alot of people have some sort of issue with MeanV for some reason. My point is that you started your own thread about your discovery. Why did you feel the need to post it again in a thread comparing the MeanV to the STS?
I don't need anyone to defend me....I've done NOTHING that needs defending. You OBVIOUSLY (again) have a problem with what I posted....you even went as far as to say I took a "jab" at a particular person and nothing could be further from the truth. How in the hell are you "defending" MeanV??? what are you defending him from??

Check the dates of my posts captain obvious...I posted here FIRST!!! I didn't start my thread until AFTER I originally posted here.

Whatever I'm not gonna sit here and argue with you. No need to. I said my peace and you got all upset. I can't help that.
But it wasn't my goal.
I didn't get upset because you said "your peace" I'm upset because your "peace" is full of misinformation and biased. You felt the need to try to belittle my "DIY" project first with your oh so subtle comment about camo dipping...Do I need to quote you?....Didn't think so.

Bottom line....this is a PUBLIC forum. I broke no rules posting what I did, in fact what I posted is SUPPOSEDLY what this forum is all about hunters sharing information with other hunters. That's what I did, I shared information on how to make a string suppressor with pretty much the same materials as other manufacturers yet at a cost far less and you had a problem with it......Well you know what, to frickin bad.....deal with it! Am I pissed off??? You're frickin right I am!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:03 AM
Dominant Buck

quote:

LOL
Old 04-04-2008, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ok, I have a question, I just bought a 2005 Hoyt Vtec, and it does not have the threads to screw it into on the back side of whee the stabilizer screws in. So how do you mount one to a bow that s like this?
BigDaddy, I know that STS makes one the screws into the Front (stabilizer hole) and extends back from there. I don't know if others make one like that, but I do know that STS does. I would imagine that it's counter bored to still allow use of a Stabilizer (?).
Old 04-04-2008, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like we got one more for the 09 antelope hunt.
Who's bunking with BigJ ?[]
Old 04-04-2008, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

As far as I know, the only option for a bow that doesn't have a rear stabilizer bushing is to go with a front-mount STS; someone correct me if I've missed another product out there that I'm unaware of.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.