Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you be proud of this shot? >

Would you be proud of this shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you be proud of this shot?

Old 03-17-2008, 07:06 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you be proud of this shot?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

if entrance I say right on the money.
And Greg....your sketch doesn't show the ENTIRE makeup of a deer's shoulder......only the skeletal structure.There's more to the shoulder than that.....and your sketch is misleading to new hunters. There's a lot of cartilage in the plate that surrounds the shoulder socket that can be avoided on an optimal shot. But you know that.
Care to explain this further? This is an accurate depiction of the anatomy of the bones and the shoulder. Your comments are misleading. There are three places that contain cartilage on the shoulder region of the deer. Can you tell me what/where they are?

If we want to get technical, the green dot is a long ways from the shoulder. It is about 2 inches above the olecranon, part of the joint below the shoulder.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

quickly dead deer=good shot
Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

After this photo, the ketchup was cleaned off the buck, and he was given some adrenalin to wake back up to ward off the symptoms of the tranquilizer shot. The buck was given $50 for participating in a live biology study. What a nice buck.

But for real, I arrowed a doe just like in the first picture posted from the ground this year, a little more than slightly quartering away....the arrow passed through and came out right in front of the far leg....the Muzzy cut the does heart in half. She literally ran 25 yards and fell over dead in 5 seconds. I waited 2 minutes, then walked over to dead doe.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

But for real, I arrowed a doe just like in the first picture posted from the ground this year, a little more than slightly quartering away....the arrow passed through and came out right in front of the far leg....the Muzzy cut the does heart in half. She literally ran 25 yards and fell over dead in 5 seconds. I waited 2 minutes, then walked over to dead doe.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:52 PM
Site Bouncer

Even though the cat is out of the bag (nice shot BTW Jeff) I'll through my $.02 in here.

On a quartering away shot as you described, I would have put the "pipper" (sorry...been watching "Dog Fights" on the History channel)about 2-3 inches forward and slightly higher than your entrance hole as I would want to get right in the middle of the vitals. This would put my entrance somewhere between your hit and Greg's green dot only higher.

You can't argue with the results though, I believe you said you took out one lung and the heart right? Unless the deer was quartering more than I'm thinking, you probably took out the lower backside of the heart? If you hit right trough the middle of the heart then (judging by the entrance hole) the deer was quartering more than I understood it to have been.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything that any of us write is just going to be monday morning quarterbacking... Jeff did you need your ego stroked or something? The deer was dead inside 50 yards... think the shot placement was right? DUH? Based on the feedback you gave us and the eventual location of the arrow, I'd say the deer was at a full quarter away... not slightly quartering. Slightly quartering, and that hit does appear to be a touch back. You would have caught the liver anyway, which is just as good. But to end up through the heart and under and forward in the shoulder bone from where that entrance is says that either that deer reacted to the shot or it was a bit more quartering than you thought.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

We can micro analyse the shot...but in short, the deer is dead! So for me it would be a good shot. Just the opinion of someone that mainly hunts hogs and bear though.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

As others said, dead deer=great shot. I would have aimed a bit higher, just like you said ,Jeff, to compensate for the treestand height. No arguments here
Old 03-17-2008, 11:21 PM

ORIGINAL: mez

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

if entrance I say right on the money.
And Greg....your sketch doesn't show the ENTIRE makeup of a deer's shoulder......only the skeletal structure.There's more to the shoulder than that.....and your sketch is misleading to new hunters. There's a lot of cartilage in the plate that surrounds the shoulder socket that can be avoided on an optimal shot. But you know that.
Care to explain this further? This is an accurate depiction of the anatomy of the bones and the shoulder. Your comments are misleading. There are three places that contain cartilage on the shoulder region of the deer. Can you tell me what/where they are?

If we want to get technical, the green dot is a long ways from the shoulder. It is about 2 inches above the olecranon, part of the joint below the shoulder.
Here you go, this oughta help some with the shoulder discussions. I will just add one thing to it...there is no shoulder socket on a deer. Their shoulder blade is a floating joint.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

I found one with a "shoulder shot". The shot was 12 yards broadside from 14 feet up. No bones or cartilage interfered with this shot. You are looking at the exit hole, the entrance was directly accross and the arrow was in the ground. The BH was a Thunderhead which I don't use anymore. It was a double lung and severed the arteries on top of the heart.I watched this deer crash 35 yards from my stand.

I was very proud of this shot. It's one of those green dot shots.

Quick Reply: Would you be proud of this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.