Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you be proud of this shot? >

Would you be proud of this shot?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you be proud of this shot?

Old 03-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Would you be proud of this shot?

That is almost exactly where I shot my '07 deer, and had the exact same result, 40-50 yd recovery, complete pass through...dead deer...I mean if your able to drop a deer within 50 yds, you can't get much more optimal.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

rory, if NC is the same as Va, we simply notch the tag and call in to the game commission and push the numbers for: game kiled, weapon used, public or private land, antlerless or antlered, number of points if buck, and county and you're done that's it.
well missouri switched from the check stations to telecheck a couple of years ago, here is what it says straight from the missouri department of conservation website. BTW you get the confirmation number after calling the deer/turkey in, the write the confirmation number on your tag http://www.mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/genregs.htm
"All harvested deer and turkeys, either whole or processed, must be labeled with the taker’s full name, address and Telecheck confirmation number."

is this what you guys do or not?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I apologize for the photo in the back of the truck.

Shot was a 33 yd shot on this buck that was slightly quartering away. Complete pass-thru......40-50 yd recovery.

When assessing the shot....imagine where the front leg would be when the buck was standing. I'll give the results of the autopsy, later.

So.....would you be proud of this shot? Would you consider this "optimal"? If not.....what IS "optimal"?

Also.....note that this is the entrance hole.
Jeff,

I'm sure I missed it but was it a complete pass-thru? If so where was the exit hole? Just curious because I thought this was the deer that left you a tough trailing job withvery little blood to follow. I would be happpy with the shot and proud of my deer, one thing I will add is even though you had a successful recovery youdid sayyouwere notaiming there and misjudged the distance as well so those are things I might not consider optimal or be too proud of (despite the results). I would make sure I took a lesson from those miscalcualtionsand apply it to future hunts. I'm sure you know an error in judgement in the distance or the arrowspath through the deer can easily lead to much different results and I'm glad for youthat didn't happen with this guy.

"I" personally like to try and tuck it up near the arm pit a little more, especially if they are broadside or just slightly quartering only because there are a lot of blood vessels to hit up their even if you miss the heart and that shoulder boneangles much farther to the front than most realize and that makes a nice little pocket to shoot for. Some of the toughest tracking jobs I have been on involved high lung hits that were near the back of the lungs so I really try to avoid that area. Lots to consider with archery shots likestand height, shot angles, deers body angle,etc and really being able to mentally envision the path your arrow needs to take is a skill we all should be honing all year. I lowered my stands to around 15-18 feet for archery to get better angles at close range and in the early season I can still usually find plenty of cover to hide in.

JMO.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Only tookj 20+ pages, but I think you got it Did you check those rest out?
Yeah, I think I may look into those. Maybe see if I can get my hands on the Bodoodle. Have you personally tested these? Oh, maybe you can reply by PM. Sorry Jeff[:-]didn't mean to hijack the big response thread of the day.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

sorry vabowman and GMMAT
i just read your previous posts, and they are pretty similar to what we do here
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: xXxrory7xXx

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

rory, if NC is the same as Va, we simply notch the tag and call in to the game commission and push the numbers for: game kiled, weapon used, public or private land, antlerless or antlered, number of points if buck, and county and you're done that's it.
well missouri switched from the check stations to telecheck a couple of years ago, here is what it says straight from the missouri department of conservation website. BTW you get the confirmation number after calling the deer/turkey in, the write the confirmation number on your tag http://www.mdc.mo.gov/hunt/deer/genregs.htm
"All harvested deer and turkeys, either whole or processed, must be labeled with the taker’s full name, address and Telecheck confirmation number."

is this what you guys do or not?
LOL! how many times must they say it? No tag on the deer. No checking it in. You call it in, get a confirmation number, write it on your tag, and keep that with you for proof it is a legal deer.

BTW, 3 tags on his elk doesn't mean he bought three separate hunting tags for one bull. It means there are three sections or three copies of the same tag, that must remain with each prt of the elk at all times.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:46 PM

Im the last one to critique shot placement. If the deer was broadside evenly, then it was a touch back, but still very lethal. Now, slightly quartering away, I wouldn't know, I have shot all my deer either perfectly broadside, quartering way away, and yes, even quartering to, I know, I said I wasn't the one for shot placement critique... either way it was a lethal shot. People will have their opinions, G if you're happy with the end result, then let it be, you are the only one that has to be satisfied. You said it was slightly quartering away, and you killed it. without watching the actual shot, none of uscan really say anything accept, it is a dead deer. I have made worse shots and I have made better ones too. If anyone does this long enough, shots like these are going to be questioned I guess. So in the end, each of us I think can add some positive critiques here and we all have made undesirable shots, so we should listen when we do and not get defensive. If we post it, we gotta take what is given to us, trust me, I take it a lot, but I lose no sleep over it. I think just about everyone on here is good for this tradition and hunting in general, so I ask that we all not get so touchy here....sincerely, Switzerland..
Dominant Buck

I'm sure I missed it but was it a complete pass-thru?
yes.

Just curious because I thought this was the deer that left you a tough trailing job withvery little blood to follow.
It was.

one thing I will add is even though you had a successful recovery youdid sayyouwere notaiming there and misjudged the distance as well so those are things I might not consider optimal or be too proud of (despite the results).
My Ally was shooting close to 300fps. Even if I misjudge the distance by 10 yds at that distance......what is he result? 2-3" drop? My windage was exactly where I wanted it.

I'll say it again.....I was extremely proud of this shot.

Fork Horn

Did the deer bleed red blood? And did he fall on his left or right side????????????????????????????????????????? How dead,can dead be? Hes in the back of a pick up truck heading for the freezer ! PERFECT SHOOT DUDE!!!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm sure I missed it but was it a complete pass-thru?
yes.

Just curious because I thought this was the deer that left you a tough trailing job withvery little blood to follow.
It was.

one thing I will add is even though you had a successful recovery youdid sayyouwere notaiming there and misjudged the distance as well so those are things I might not consider optimal or be too proud of (despite the results).
My Ally was shooting close to 300fps. Even if I misjudge the distance by 10 yds at that distance......what is he result? 2-3" drop? My windage was exactly where I wanted it.

As you should be and that wasmy attempt at constructiveinputand trying not to soundcritical because you did have good results and a fine buck to show for it. What I mean is, obviously it is a shot and deer you should be proud of but there is always something to learn or maybe something you can use in the future on a different deer and a different shot. I just thought because you posted the pic and the scenario you might be asking for input as to what if anything might not have been optimal. My bad, it wasjmo take it for what it's worth.

One thing I'll add is this should be all that matters:

Notwhat anyone else feels about it and ifthe quote aboveishow you feel about it why ask the question at all, especially in light of how threads generally go around here. Your gonna get people slapping you on the back and saying your awesome and some slapping you in the face saying your not. I try to avoid those extremes and go for someting in the middlewith my responses and hope it's borderline useful. Most of the time anyway, don't quote me on that.

Quick Reply: Would you be proud of this shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.