Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting Farm Land Whitetails >

Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hunting Farm Land Whitetails

I'm also gonna be switching to farmland, well one of my stands is gonna be on the edge of a big field, I hunted up on big hills that they mined back in the day and its hard hunting that. Hopefulyl farm fields will be easier for me! Good luck to you
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW, good for you Troy. Knowing you, I don't think you will need any help from us. This should be easier for ya!

It doesn't have any big Alfalfa fields next to River Bottoms like I see from the Milk River in Montana, does it? Those guys just sit up on the hills and pick which buck they want. Then ambush him when comes out into the field. That almost doesn't seem fair, almost.

If there are any drainages on it, you should have a HONEY HOLE!!
Old 03-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shed33,

If you can find a transition area about 200 yds before the entrance to field in some fairly thick cover with oaks an deer sign an rubs, you got it made. You are going to have fun!
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Oh that poor buck that you find this summer, he won't stand a chance.

Trust me, after what you pull off up in those mountains, this type of hunting will be a cake walk to figure out.
LOL...I was thinking the same thing
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remember Troy.........if you can see them from the road.......so can everyone else.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah Troy - you'll find that hunting the farmland isn't exactlyrocket science. Now, depending on how much pressure they see, it will complicate things to some extent...

But if you can get into some deer that aren't being tortured - I don't think you'll have any trouble.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Troy, congrats on the new property. With all of those funnels and pinch points you are going to have a blast. I sort of feel bad for those deer, ok not really.

Now them whitetails would be in trouble with a combo such as you 2!!
Schultzy, I was thinking the same thing.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys,

Just got in here to work and off the phone with my brother, we are both pretty pumped about this opportunity, not to mention the landslie about1/2 way between where he livesand I live..so itsa perfect meeting ground for us to hunt together as well.

I appreciate all the comments and advice...and the votes of confidence. I agree I should be able to get a more consistent pattern on a buck especially if he has a solid early season food source he likes...

My plans are to get down their asap and do some shed hunting, looking like this weekend. These guys own so much land there is no way I can cover it all but for now I will just get down there, have Buck show me around and then start in scouting/sheddingit ... I know there are some hardcore shed hunters down there that probably have already picked a lot of it over pretty good..

The country itself consists of rolling hills (the farmable land)littered withdeep canyons and a lot of the fields they farm are butted up against timber patches..
Getting to hunt farmland whitetailsreally excites me, Iknow patterning a buck on a solid food source will be easier if I can find an area that isnt getting to much pressure during early archery season.. But finding a buck and killing him is too different things..

again who knows.....until I get down there this spring and then in the summer toscout and feel things out and see how much and where the hunting pressure will come from.. The genetics and feed are there.... thats what I do know..

I found out last night the Idaho state archery nontypical came from this area too..

Funny how farm country and big bucks always seem to hand in hand.. they have the groceries!

I will keep you all posted, this is going to be a breath of fresh air ... dont get me wrong I still love hunting these mountains.. too...and always will continue too.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck! I am sure you will learn that you already know how to hunt farmland deer. They are still deer and you know an awful lot about them. Can't wait to see the pictures of your first monster taken from there!

Of course, not hiking those mountains every time may make you soft and weak like me
Old 03-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: huntingson

Good luck! I am sure you will learn that you already know how to hunt farmland deer. They are still deer and you know an awful lot about them. Can't wait to see the pictures of your first monster taken from there!

Of course, not hiking those mountains every time may make you soft and weak like me
Yeah right Jim, you'd probably walk circles around me out here in these mountains..I am getting old .... this flat ground may spoil me, your right..