Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any ideas? Skunks >

Any ideas? Skunks

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any ideas? Skunks

Old 03-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default Any ideas? Skunks

Well Im posting this in here because this is the only forum I ever go to.

I had my lab out today day and was letting her run around in a little wood-lot by where I was. I was clearing and cutting brush and burning it all down. I heard a gun shot by kinda where she was, but I didn't think too much of it. About ten seconds later I hear her whimpering and whining real loud and so I take off running over by where I thought she was, I get 1/2 way there and see her jumping around real strange so I keep going to her yelling at her and eventually she starts coming to me. She gets 40 yards to me and the wind is blowing something real weird smelling my direction- I look past her and see a skunk taking off the other direction.

Yeah...she tried to take on a freakin skunk. She smells TERRIBLE and I haven't decided what to do yet. I guess tomato juice but that will be messy as hell.

Any other ideas on how to go about getting the smell off of her?
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM

Default RE: Any ideas? Skunks

Tomato paste and sauce. Bathe her in it wearing gloves!!! And make sure to rub it in well.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 PM
Super Moderator

This is the recipe us trappers use.

[ul][*]1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide[*]1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)[*]1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent[*]Mix these together and bathe thedog thoroughly.[*]Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.[*]Rinse with water afterward, and repeat if necessary.[*]Avoid getting it in the dog's eyes.[/ul]
Old 03-16-2008, 11:38 PM
Typical Buck

thank you much! ihope she knows better than to go after skunks now. lol
Old 03-17-2008, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

A simple product called Skunk Off! Your local Vet should have it in stock. My shorthair gets into a couple a year.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

[ul][*]1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide[*]1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)[*]1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent[*]Mix these together and bathe thedog thoroughly.[*]Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.[*]Rinse with water afterward, and repeat if necessary.[*]Avoid getting it in the dog's eyes.[/ul]
I use a similar recipe for homemade scentkiller and it has removed the skunk smell from my dogs very well.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

"I use a similar recipe for homemade scentkiller and it has removed the skunk smell from my dogs very well."

Same here. Using tomato juice is just a waste of Bloody Mary fixin's.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

[blockquote]quote:

This is the recipe us trappers use. [ul][*]1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide[*]1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)[*]1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent[*]Mix these together and bathe thedog thoroughly.[*]Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.[*]Rinse with water afterward, and repeat if necessary.[*]Avoid getting it in the dog's eyes.[/ul]

[/blockquote]

"I use a similar recipe for homemade scentkiller and it has removed the skunk smell from my dogs very well."

Same here. Using tomato juice is just a waste of Bloody Mary fixin's.
Worked on my dog! But it is a shame any time you use bloody mary mixes on anything but bloody's!