Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Took the leap.... >

Took the leap....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took the leap....

Old 03-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default Took the leap....

Okay, so I took the leap yesterday and bought a compound bow. Got a really nice deal on a fully loaded 06 Hoyt Trykon XL (whisker bisquit, quiver, arrows, silencers - a bunch, single pin Tru-Glo site, Tru-Ball release, a few arm guards, stabilizer, cloth carrying case and probably a few things on there that I have no clue what they are). It's set to 62 lbs. and has a 29" draw (my draw length).

Being new to the sport, I was able to get 3" groups at about 15 yards - still feeling my way around the bow and still learning the art of archery. Trust me when I tell you that my forearm is still sore from poor technique - I've been instructed since last night to hold the bow differently.

So, what pointers would you all be so kind to give to this newly cristened (bruised - lol) bow hunter? I have full intentions of practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for all input.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:51 AM

Default RE: Took the leap....

Don't give up. It just takes time. Repeatable form is what's it's all about, consistency. Doing the exact same thing shot after shot after shot. Don't get too hard on yourself. You'll miss sometimes, fact. Just stick with it.

Something that will help that Trykon out quite a bit is an STS system. They absolutely work wonders on a Trykon.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:23 AM
Typical Buck

Stick with it, nothing like the adrenaline rush when you get that first buck with your bow. Congratulations on your bow, I am sure you will enjoy it. Try and shoot 2 times a week year round. It helps. Good luck.
chris
Old 03-14-2008, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you sure your draw length is 29". I'm under the assumption that if your draw length is right it's pretty tough to hit yourself.

My first experience with a bow was not good. I shot a bow that was 3" to long and it stung the bajeebers out of me.

Tom
Old 03-14-2008, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I got measured for my draw by a respectable dealer. He's "the man" in town and comes highly recommended from everybody that I know that hunts.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hitting your arm has nothing to do with draw length its how you hold the bow. if you hold the bow with your wrist crooked your forearm will be closer to the riser. Just PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! welcome to this great sport!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the new bow. You'll fall into it.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:46 PM

Pics???
Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Welcome to bowhunting, just keep practiceing, a good friend of mine bowhunted for the first time this year and he is hooked.He missed a monster thisyear at about 32 yards, but he kepthunting, just dont get discouraged.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Typical Buck

Here is one small pointer that should pay huge dividends in the end.

Seek the advice of a coach!

You are at a pivitol point in the sport. You have not yet developed those bad habits that will have to be unlearned before you can learn the correct ones.

A couple of sessions with a good coach should get you off on the right track, and keep you from falling into the botomless abiss of bad habits and poor technique. Good, consistent form is the key to archery. If you have it, then practice will improve things. If you don't have it, practicing only serves to more deeply engrain that bad form into your head.

Quick Reply: Took the leap....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.