Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Took the leap.... >

Took the leap....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took the leap....

Old 03-14-2008, 05:36 PM

Default RE: Took the leap....

take it down to 58 pounds for now and just work on your three points of anchor. Once you are dialed in and feel comfortable with your shot after about two weeks of practicing then take it back up to 62 pounds and keep practicing. If you're young like me you will be pulling back 70 pounds and hitting the bullseye with arrows hugging each other consitantly in no time! Good luck brother
Old 03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cowboy4513

Hitting your arm has nothing to do with draw length its how you hold the bow. if you hold the bow with your wrist crooked your forearm will be closer to the riser. Just PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!! welcome to this great sport!!!
Ditto,part of this. You can be hitting your arm if the DL is too long as well, but it's even worse if you're not holding the bow right. My little brother is about 6'4" with some knuckle-dragger arms, and hit his arm using my 29" bow. Measured properly, he's a 31" DL, so that goes to show how extreme the hold on the bow can tear you up.

Dixon,
That's a GREAT shooting bow, stick with it, and that 3" group at 15yds, will be a 3" group at 30. I picked mine up this past fall, and killed a deer with it within two weeks. I didn't intend on hunting with it until fall '08, but it just shot so nice, I couldn't resist, so I took it out, and on my 3rd trip to the woods with it, I arrowed a pretty little 2.5yo doe. Now my Highlander gets lonely, so every once in a while, I have to get it out and shoot it to make it happy. Practice holding the bow with an open hand, make a ring or "C" with your thumb and fore finger, and keep the other fingers off of the handle, that will help a little with keeping your forearm out of the string, and if you don't have one, get a wrist strap on there, it helps keep you from feeling like you're going to drop the bow when you shoot with a more "open" hand. Another thing that I don't personally do, but I know helps a LOT of newer archers is using a "kisser" button to make sure you're anchor point is more "repeatable." Good Luck, and post up questions here, there are a great number of guys that have LOADS of knowledge to help you out!!!
Old 03-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Here is one small pointer that should pay huge dividends in the end.

Seek the advice of a coach!

You are at a pivitol point in the sport. You have not yet developed those bad habits that will have to be unlearned before you can learn the correct ones.

A couple of sessions with a good coach should get you off on the right track, and keep you from falling into the botomless abiss of bad habits and poor technique. Good, consistent form is the key to archery. If you have it, then practice will improve things. If you don't have it, practicing only serves to more deeply engrain that bad form into your head.
X2 It is MUCH easier learning it right from the start than trying to fix up bad habbits.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]
OHbowhntr
Practice holding the bow with an open hand, make a ring or "C" with your thumb and fore finger, and keep the other fingers off of the handle, that will help a little with keeping your forearm out of the string, and if you don't have one, get a wrist strap on there, it helps keep you from feeling like you're going to drop the bow when you shoot with a more "open" hand.

X2. also dont lock your elbow. put a slight bend in it. even with the right draw length if yourtechnique is wrong it will still hurt.
[/blockquote]
Old 03-15-2008, 04:37 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah, after talking with a friend, he suggested the same things: slight bend in the elbow and holding it like I'm making a "C" with my hand. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet (raining) like that, but I should be able to either later or tomorrow.