Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Related to Greg's post >

Related to Greg's post

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Related to Greg's post

Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Related to Greg's post

I myself have a long way in becoming an excellent 4.5+ year old mature buck hunter. I think I'm an average hunter hunting these big guys (4.5's and up). I see them here and there (30 to 40 yards out) but getting them in bow range for my recurve (20 yards) for me is the next step. I think I'm advanced on the 3.5's and I have them some what figured out but man is it tough getting these big guys (4.5's) in front of me in shooting range. Its a whole new level of hunting that I've been learning hunting these older mature bucks, I'm learning but its a slow and sometimes painful process! What I'm asking is whats the next step in hunting these big guys or just deer in general for you? What do you feel you have to do to get where you want with your deer hunting? For me its getting these 4.5's another 10 to 20 yards closer. How am I going to do that? Better stand placement (try finding that exact tree instead of being off 30 yards or so) is where I'm going to start and we'll see if it pays off this fall. I'm going to pay more attention to the little things this year, small little trails, escape routes, sneak trails that are right below my nose that I'm not paying close enough attention to. What I just high lighted is what worked for me this last year so we'll see if it works again. Maybe I was just lucky too. Maybe some of your ideas will help one of us.

The whole point of this thread is to see what everyone else is going to do this upcoming year on getting to that next level. This thread has nothing to do with me, I was just stating what I'm going to try and do to get to that next level. Thats what I want to hear from everyone else.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Related to Greg's post

Sounds like you have a plan Steve. Man ifhehad only been a little closer or if that limb had not been in the way. I hear ya!
Old 03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Sounds like you have a plan Steve. Man ifhehad only been a little closer or if that limb had not been in the way. I hear ya!
A guys gotta start somewhere I guess.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Even with ideal stand placement getting an old buck within 20 yards of your stand is tough. They don't follow the same trails every time. They can decide to trot through your shooting lane. They can turn towards or away from you as you draw back and not give you a shot. I truly believe that once you get to a certain level of knowledge and skill it comes down to 2 things: time in the stand and luck. From what I have read from you, it seems like you are only a lucky break away from a real monster.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Those trails you spoke of are some of the things I look for when scouting and tracking , a secondary travel route just might lead you in to a spot you otherwise might have overlooked.
Some trails off a major travel route will take you in to their prime core area were others may lead you in the thickest part of the woods whereno other hunter would even think of going in.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Site Buck Guru

I use funnels for this. I set up in spots where the deer almost HAVE to cross. It usually takes a couple of years to find these places, but it pays off in the end. In Farm country I've said that it takes me 2 full crop rotations to really know the land and how the deer travel it. That's about 4 years. Then I monitor and scout the land to keep up with the changes.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:10 AM

Not sure about your deer population or the amount of people in your area hunting (mine is high and heavy) but I have found if you hunt the does, the bucks will follow.

But then again, 4.5 years olds are what we are finally getting to in my area, so there aren't that many around, (hopefully 2-3 from the sheds and deer I saw at the end of the late bow season, will be around this upcoming season) and with around 200 acres to hunt, there isn't alot of places you can go.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Shultzy - I think you and I are close in assesing where we are as hunters and recognizing the significant gap between killing a 3.5 yo as compared to an older deer. I mentioned in Greg's thread that I can kill a 3.5 yo any year I choose. I stand behind that statement, but I couldn't have said that 5 years ago.

I have learned how to minimize my impact of coming and going from stands, the disciplineto create and honor sancturies, choosing when to hunt(i.e weather patterns) so as to not wear an area out, etc as the reason that I think I am capable of seeing and killing more 3.5yo deer than what I used to.

As far as progressing to the next level, if i knew I would already be there.But the three I am committed to focusing on the most is to
1) quit shooting 3.5 yo deer so as to increase my chances the next year.

2) find more places to hunt so that I can reduce pressure in my hot spots even more so than already and be even more selective when I go into these areas.

3) When I do hunt my hotspots that are not in but close to bedding areas, I am committed to getting there a full two hours before daylight in hopes of not bumping the mature deer that is probably nocturnal to begin with but maybe I catch him still milling/browsing around right at start of legal shooting time.

But I've got to be hunting somewhere. I don't see myself as ever being disciplined enough to significantly reduce my days afieldin order to maximize my chance at a sure enough mature deer.

If it is between less overall hunting or only killing 3.5 yo deer, I will opt for the 3.5 yo and more days afield and accept my limiations. But in the meantime, I am getting more places to hunt and am going to spread it out as much as possible.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Schultzy - I think you and I are close in assesing where we are as hunters and recognizing the significant gap between killing a 3.5 yo as compared to an older deer.
We think alike on this allot. Our assessments of mature bucks generally fall in that 4.5 year old class when were comparing intelligence or that 6th sense to that of a 3.5. People are entitled to there opinions but this has always been my way of thinking too.

As far as progressing to the next level, if i knew I would already be there.But the three I am committed to focusing on the most is to

2) find more places to hunt so that I can reduce pressure in my hot spots even more so than already and be even more selective when I go into these areas.

3) When I do hunt my hotspots that are not in but close to bedding areas, I am committed to getting there a full two hours before daylight in hopes of not bumping the mature deer that is probably nocturnal to begin with but maybe I catch him still milling/browsing around right at start of legal shooting time.

But I've got to be hunting somewhere. I don't see myself as ever being disciplined enough to significantly reduce my days afieldin order to maximize my chance at a sure enough mature deer.

If it is between less overall hunting or only killing 3.5 yo deer, I will opt for the 3.5 yo and more days afield and accept my limiations. But in the meantime, I am getting more places to hunt and am going to spread it out as much as possible.

This right here is what I'm looking for folks. Answers like Jack said here. What are you going to do to try and get to that next level? Thanks Jack for answering the question to the thread.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Site Buck Guru

Shultzy - I think you and I are close in assesing where we are as hunters and recognizing the significant gap between killing a 3.5 yo as compared to an older deer. I mentioned in Greg's thread that I can kill a 3.5 yo any year I choose. I stand behind that statement, but I couldn't have said that 5 years ago.

I have learned how to minimize my impact of coming and going from stands, the disciplineto create and honor sancturies, choosing when to hunt(i.e weather patterns) so as to not wear an area out, etc as the reason that I think I am capable of seeing and killing more 3.5yo deer than what I used to.

I started incorperating your steps for the last three seasons. The first year that I passed on 3 1/2s, 4 of them would've made P&Y. However, I learned an awful lot that year including that by having patience I'd see more, older bucks.

The one part of your step that I do not folow is getting there 2 hours before daylight. I like to get there 10 minutes before shooting light. The reasons are that there is less time for my scent to disperse, most times I can see a bit better and get to my stand without bumping deer and most of all, it won't kiil me to hear something and not know what it is!! [:-]

Quick Reply: Related to Greg's post

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.