Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Florida deer are small?! >

Florida deer are small?!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Florida deer are small?!

Old 03-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Florida deer are small?!

ORIGINAL: strutnbuck

My buddy killed a nice buck in Florida. But the body sizes are what get me. What did those two deer dress?

My buddies was 90 lbs and looked like a mature buck.

One was just over 150, the other 170. I shot an 8pt in a local WMA that was 175. Last year there were 5 bucks taken there over 150, the largest being 198. That's on the hoof. We do get some good weights, problem is they usually don't live long enough. Florida allows 2 bucks a day all season. WMA's have there own limits, they varie. Both these bucks were 3 yrs. old. Could have gotten even bigger. FL is supposed to change their managment plan next year, implementing a stricker bag limit and antler restriction depending on location in FL. Hopefully they will! One antler 5" is the current legal buck!
Wow I wouldn't have guessed either of those bucks over 100-120. In comparison to the bed of the truck they seem smaller than that. Regardless the antlers are nice for sure.170 lbs feild dressed is a nice sized deer in most areas for sure.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks alot!!!!!!!

Here I have been telling everyone that Florida deer are little bitty things and you go and show pics like this.

Next thing you know all of those people from Illinois will be coming down here to hunt.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Fork Horn

jasonlester, if you'll noticed, I said that weight was "on the hoof", not field dressed.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Typical Buck

hey all yo uflorida hunters in this thread check out my thread about hunting in florida pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2686792
Old 03-11-2008, 03:37 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-11-2008, 04:55 AM

^ you thought the beach, suprisingly florida is a very rural state, it is just alittle swampier then other states. is there anything wrong with those boots[8D]
Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 AM

Did a hog hunt down there last month on a private lease. I was very suprised at the deer size. I expected the "dog size" you hear about, but they looked pretty normal to me. Not as big as our deer up here, but certainly nothing that struck me as "small" either.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

watch out.... TDWW will kick your butts![8D]
Old 03-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aren't the "dog sized" deer that were mentioned the Key Deer??? Which would be totally different than Whitetails.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I was down in FL for a farm convention.....went to an all you can eat breakfast one morning.

Those boys came in looking like some hardcore cowboys. They strap on their boots and spurs like we put on our pants and shirts.

I've gotta tell ya, I was taken back by the "florida country"....I saw some spots that looked great for whitetails down there.

Whoda thunk it !! FLORIDA ??? And I thought the convention was going to be on a beach
I hate that about people from other states that think Florida is one big beach with a bunch of old folks from Michigan....

Its not! Thats South Florida, which I consider a nuther country (Cuba),The rest of Florida isnt much different from any of your other south eastern states like Georgia or Alabama... Give FL some credit!

Quick Reply: Florida deer are small?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.