Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Of Shed and Trail Cam Picture.. >

Of Shed and Trail Cam Picture..

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Of Shed and Trail Cam Picture..

Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Of Shed and Trail Cam Picture..

Duke, by looking at the picture i have come up with 2.5 years old. It is possible that he was a 3.5, but his legs look a little long for his body and if this picture was talken in Illinois a typical deer from this area will appear stockier at 3.5. It is hard to see what kind of muscle tone he had because of the flash. The belly line is also a good indicator, it is a straight line belly not sagging but not small at the waist either which makes me think 2.5. The neck is another good thing to look at but i don't believe it this tim of the year because of the lack of muscle. Aging deer on the hoof is anyones best guess and takes many years of practice to get right. I am still practicing!But these are my thoughts on this deer.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Duke, by looking at the picture i have come up with 2.5 years old. It is possible that he was a 3.5, but his legs look a little long for his body and if this picture was talken in Illinois a typical deer from this area will appear stockier at 3.5. It is hard to see what kind of muscle tone he had because of the flash. The belly line is also a good indicator, it is a straight line belly not sagging but not small at the waist either which makes me think 2.5. The neck is another good thing to look at but i don't believe it this tim of the year because of the lack of muscle.
And you could be correct popeandyoungchaser (which by the way you need shortened[8D]).

But the pic. was taken in August while the deer were still very thin.. lack of muscle tone.. included. The buck is also stretching to reach up at an apple in the tree giving an illusion of a very slendor belly.

These points.. along with my longtime knowledge of the deer in this area due to my own hunting of them and owning many of their antlers already are what brings me to this conclusion. Although one should never base age off antler.

Illinois is a big state. But within it are many areas where a 4.5 yr. old still will not reach P&Y.. the area I hunt included. However if I were to go 5 hours south by southwest to the central area of the state.. most every 3.5 yr. old makes the book.. and many 2.5 yr. olds too. People sometimes associate any state as one giant body or herd.. not the individual bodies or herds it really is.. and the same holds true for every state. Georgia is a perfect example of this.

These P&Ychaser are why I am at the conclusion of a 3.5 yr. old deer.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, you actually look charming in that photo. What kind of filter was he using?

heh, kidding!!!

Nice bone.
I am charming.

And I think you replied on this post just to say "nice bone" to me. Careful Christine, or K12" will think somethings up.