Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My thoughts on leasing >

My thoughts on leasing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My thoughts on leasing

Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Default RE: My thoughts on leasing

ORIGINAL: Howler

On the bright side of the debate is the fact that about 21 states have started some form of private-land-access programs and have opened approx. 26,799,824 acres to the public. For instance, KS. only has about 2% of public owned land, but that state has started a walk-in program, read as LEASE, and has opened approx. 1,000,000 acres that can now be hunted by the public.
It's still leasing. The state pays the landowner to allow public access. It is nice though, this lease only cost me $48 this year. Every couple years the prices goes up though.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM

Your not gonna stop people with money from buying what they want, but they're not gonna ruin hunting. Like it or not mosthunters want to kill a mature buck, now I know there's somebody just waitin' to post that they are strictly a meat hunter, but for the the other 99% of us our state agencies need to adopt hunting regulations that protect younge bucks and support a balanced, healthy deer herd. That way you don't need to buy or lease hundreds of acres to make sure you have a good oppurtunity at a mature buck. And if you are a meat hunter by all means shoot some does! By the way, American farmers produce 60% of the worlds food, including what everyone of us ate today. If theyget tax breaks, hunting lease money or anything else so be it. If you wantpoint the finger at someone takingadvantageof us there much more deserving targets, Exxon, Mobile...
Old 02-28-2008, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Howler

On the bright side of the debate is the fact that about 21 states have started some form of private-land-access programs and have opened approx. 26,799,824 acres to the public. For instance, KS. only has about 2% of public owned land, but that state has started a walk-in program, read as LEASE, and has opened approx. 1,000,000 acres that can now be hunted by the public.
There is no doubt that finding private land to hunt without paying cash to do so is getting tougher, but there are still opportunitys to be found.
And, if you think that the subsidies are making any farmers rich, you don't know much about farming. CRP, for instance, makes less per acre than a successful crop of corn, soybean, wheat, milo, etc. Even with the record breaking cash crop prices of today, let's not forget that the price of fertilizer, diesel, ammonia, property taxes, etc. are also at record levels. No farmer is getting rich in a hurry. The best thing any farmer has going for him is IF he owns his land. Land prices are going through the roof in the last three years. BUT with those record setting land prices, comes higher property taxes!
The purpose of CRP was to take some farmland out of production and therefor Raise the price of grain, evening out the lesser $$ made off of non-productive land.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Site Bouncer

Hardcore....didn't you and the Mrs. PAY to go on a bear hunt? In essence you just paid to lease that land albeit of only the duration of the hunt.

Sounds a little hypocritical.......

Well we had an opportunity that fell into our laps and and we had to take it. A buddy let me know that he has a bearhunt that is for two hunters in Canada that is a $2900 hunt, but we can take it for $1200 as he can't go. Cabin, food, everything except our booze; the SUPER DELUXE PACKAGE!!! Hoytgirl is going on her 1st bear hunt and this will be my 7th. I love bear hunting; quite a rush to see a bear walk in. We will be using archery equipment of course. I contacted the bearguide and checked out his website and it looks like a great place with references provided. We will be hunting Sept 2nd thru the 8th. WE ARE GOING

So it's OK for you to PAY for a bear hunt and thus ADDING to the ever growing problem of land leases YET you denounce leases....Huh

Go ahead and lease all you want, but I believe you are cutting your own throats in the long run. It is a no win, greed for ground situation, that can have no positive outcome on huntingIMO
One can easily say "go ahead and PAY an outfitter to hunt, that will only add to more land tracts being purchased for lease and outfitters, therefore cutting our own throats in the long run" right?

Let me guess.....Paying for a bear hunt doesn't count right.

If a farmer wants to lease HIS land then he has the right, if an outfitter wants to SELL hunts HE has the right. They BOTH go hand in hand and for some it works for others it doesn't, it doesn't make it wrong or evil...it's capitalism.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

Does that load of wood or spray job have a value? Then you are paying, no different than if you giving them cash. I would be glad to help out any way I can, but the truth is, helping out around the farm does not compare to $10,000 cash. I love the fact that you can only see things one way. Must be nice to walk thru life with blinders on.
I do not blame land owners for leasing, and if a hunters has the cash to do so, who am i to tell him he cannot? Who is HCH tio tell them what they are doing is wrong? I am not a fan of motor bikes, but hey if HCH wants to buy one and ride it,have at it. If joe huinters wants to lease some land, great for him. If HCH wants to cut wood andthe farmer is happy, great! Butwhy one most degrade and bashthe way one chooses to spen their money is beyond me.

LLC is comparing a farmer in KS, IA, or OH to asugar or cotton farmers. I know zip about them, I do know a lot about farmers in the midwest and they are not making a pile of money.

If they were why have so many failed?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

When Exxon starts getting paid to not produce gas at the same time that they are leasing all their property for deer hunting, i will be happy to point the finger at them. [8D]

The benefit of leasing land for public access is that it includes all types of hunters. Nowdays when land gets leased for deer hunting it is usally completely off limits to other types of hunters. That changes when you get into public programs.

And i am just pointing out that subsidies can be pretty lucrative for some types of farmers while for others it is just a helping hand.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Banned

Does that load of wood or spray job have a value? Then you are paying, no different than if you giving them cash. I would be glad to help out any way I can, but the truth is, helping out around the farm does not compare to $10,000 cash. I love the fact that you can only see things one way. Must be nice to walk thru life with blinders on.
$10,0000 CASH. WTF. Who leases land for $10,000?????? My favorite place to hunt in IA is a 30 acre parcel. Theowner contacted me andasked me if I would like to hunt it. I appreciated the offer, brought a couple of loads of wood to his house to show my appreciation, and in like flint. He didn't require payment and I didn't have to cut wood. Friendship.

You are acting like the only way to pay the bills with land is lease it out.BS bigtime with that statement. It is just something that a landowner started doing cause greedy guys walked up in the past and offered to buy their way onto the land or one neighbor talked to another and told him how he just leased his land. Like I said, past generations didn't lease their hunting grounds out to hunters so don't tell me it is the only way a guy can make it today and a necessity for a landowner to do.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The purpose of CRP was to take some farmland out of production and therefor Raise the price of grain, evening out the lesser $$ made off of non-productive land.
You're wrong. Had nothing to do with the price of grain. The world market is deciding factor on grain prices. The CRP was a way to take the worse erroding lands and the least productive lands and plant native grasses to help control errosion from wind and water and to help protect water supplys. Had nothing to do with controlling grain prices!

I'm surprised that hunters are against the CRP program concidering what CRP has done for wildlife in so many places.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Like myself and others have said earlier in the thread,...we all lease, we just pay a different price.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

$10,0000 CASH. WTF. Who leases land for $10,000?????? My favorite place to hunt in IA is a 30 acre parcel. Theowner contacted me andasked me if I would like to hunt it. I appreciated the offer, brought a couple of loads of wood to his house to show my appreciation, and in like flint. He didn't require payment and I didn't have to cut wood. Friendship.

You are acting like the only way to pay the bills with land is lease it out.BS bigtime with that statement. It is just something that a landowner started doing cause greedy guys walked up in the past and offered to buy their way onto the land or one neighbor talked to another and told him how he just leased his land. Like I said, past generations didn't lease their hunting grounds out to hunters so don't tell me it is the only way a guy can make it today and a necessity for a landowner to do.

My lease costs $10,000 for 2000 acres.($5/acre) I could have it all to myself if I could afford it, but instead it's divided by 15 members.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on leasing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.