Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

turkey with bow

Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: turkey with bow

Ahh, I use the same poundage and it's not because I "don't know much about shooting and recovering turkeys". It's because I aim to shoot and remove thier head from thier body with a 4" cut broadhead. Recovery has never been a problem!
You got me on that one. I was referring to those who are making shots to the chest cavity.

For those making head shots with the broadheads designed for that type shot, I concede poundage is not an issue one way or the other.
Old 02-27-2008, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: jackflap

Most (not all) of you guys are missing the intent of reducing poundage. Its not for ease of shooting or holding. For crying out loud, with 65-80% let offs, that should not be the issue.

The intent is to keep the arrow in the bird, not necessarily for more damage, but for easier recovery. You are going to have little if any blood trail, but if you have an arrow in the bird flight is limited as well as running through brush.

This is arrogant sounding, but from a guy who has shot lots of turkeys with a bow, when someone tells me they are going to use their whitetail set up on turkeys, what they are telling me is they don't know much about "shooting and recovering turkeys" with a bow.

As mentioned, even at lower poundage, you need to use an adder point or a blunt ended mechanical such as the Gobbler Getter to help slow the arrow down and hopefully keep it in the bird.

Can you successfully kill and recover a turkey with a 70# draw and a fixed broadhead? Certainly, but why not put the odds in your favor by implementing the proper set up that has proven to be most effective over many years.

Dan
Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Most (not all) of you guys are missing the intent of reducing poundage. Its not for ease of shooting or holding. For crying out loud, with 65-80% let offs, that should not be the issue.

The intent is to keep the arrow in the bird, not necessarily for more damage, but for easier recovery. You are going to have little if any blood trail, but if you have an arrow in the bird flight is limited as well as running through brush.

This is arrogant sounding, but from a guy who has shot lots of turkeys with a bow, when someone tells me they are going to use their whitetail set up on turkeys, what they are telling me is they don't know much about "shooting and recovering turkeys" with a bow.

As mentioned, even at lower poundage, you need to use an adder point or a blunt ended mechanical such as the Gobbler Getter to help slow the arrow down and hopefully keep it in the bird.

Can you successfully kill and recover a turkey with a 70# draw and a fixed broadhead? Certainly, but why not put the odds in your favor by implementing the proper set up that has proven to be most effective over many years.
You shouldn't be so quick too judge what the proper setup is. If yours works for you, that's fine. I know there is a large base out there that believes what you do and that the arrow should remain in the bird. I've arrowed well over 40 turkeys (and turkey hunting with a bow is my passion) to date and I subscribe to just the opposite. I have never had anything but a pass through on turkey, except for one I arrowed through the head with my longbow, and have never lost one yet. A proper shot placement with a head that maximizes shock to the bird is what I found works consistantly for me. Perhaps you did not comprehend what I wrote, but if you re-read it you'll see that I said you should basically need a poundage in which you can control your bow so you can control shot placement for all game you take. Being able to hold and draw without a lot of movement is critical; especially for those of us who bowhunt turkey without a blind of any kind.

From my perspective, someone who doesn't see the value in this and toutes the only way to put the odds in your favor to consistently take birds is to make sure the arrow stays in the bird, doesn't really know what they are talking about.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM

J/K. I am going to leave mine the sameWhen i get my General cuz its not super fast anywaysandi will also use a adder washer.My magnus snuffer ss and a adder washer are dead on with my field tips out to at least 40 yards. dident check past there cuz i probably wont get a shot that far anyways. That was with my Mathews.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year:

Shot a jake at 6 STEPS 68lbs with a gobbler getter. Arrow stayed in the bird.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:48 PM

All - that is great spirited banter and all have great points. If everyone tries to keep eagos out of the equation, you'll see you are all right anyway. Having yet to take a turkey with a bow, I'd like to thank you all for the food-for-thought!