Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is techhology good for our sport?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is techhology good for our sport?

In the old days we tracked deer movement by scraping the ground and checking for tracks. Or hanging a piece of thread across a trail or checking trails to see if spider webs were broke by passing deer. Today we can monitor our areas from home on our comp. In the past we had to practice with our bows a lot more to become proficient and had to be able to judge distances by eye. The list goes on. Is this good or bad? what are your thoughts?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is techhology good for our sport?

I think the new tech. makes people who hunt alot smarter than than people who hunted a while ago thnx to tech. and i think its the reason people are getting bigger and bigger deer each year. A long time ago a 150" deer got the same reaction a 180" gets now. (about)
Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its not good or bad, it just is. You can still do all of the things you mentioned. No one makes anyone take advantage of technology. It is all just a personal decision on how you want to go about hunting. You can use as much or as little technology as you want. It doesn't make a person a better or worse hunter, just someone that hunts differently than someone else.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:16 PM

It is relative to our lifestyles today. Back in the day, you didn't have cell phones, digital cameras or computers. Not to mention you have less time these days. Usually both couple are working to pay bills in a sh$#ty economy. Unless you have a lot of money, don't work a lot, or havethe luxury of time, it is what it is.

I guess it is bad and good...kind of like eating wasabi on sushi! It hurts, but damn, it is good!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Typical Buck

I think technology is good to a point. There have undoubtedly been some product introduced into the marketplace that have helped us as hunters become better at what we do. But all to often you see products claiming to revolutionize the way we hunt. You have to think, do I stand any better chance killing deer if I use this product. Just like these wireless transmitting game cameras. Is this going to help you harvest more deer next year. I think everyone is ready capitalize off of this sport with any piece of crap they can talk guys into buying. We've just got to learn to weed through and determine what is most important in helping us harvest deer.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

It doesn't make a person a better or worse hunter
I personally disagree.

I think todays bows shoot faster and are much more forgiving of misjudged yardages. Our stands are lighter and more comfy letting us hunt longer and walk farther with them on our back. Our trail cams help us out with stand selection, and our clothing is lighter and warmer than ever, also allowing us to hunt longer and be more comfy. We havewarmers, gps units and aerial/satelite photosto help us scout an areamiles from a road and can take us back to the exact location at anytime. We have some very good scent-killing products, that makes us a more effective hunter.

And we have forums like these where a person can learn a lot about our sport.

I'm not saying we have to take advantage of these technologies to be a good hunter, but it certainly helps IMO.

The list just goes on and on, and I think if a hunter is more effective, he is therefore a better hunter.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its a plus but Equiptment being high Tech or not,its only as good as you.....
Old 02-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: hillbilly archer

It doesn't make a person a better or worse hunter
I personally disagree.

I think todays bows shoot faster and are much more forgiving of misjudged yardages. Our stands are lighter and more comfy letting us hunt longer and walk farther with them on our back. Our trail cams help us out with stand selection, and our clothing is lighter and warmer than ever, also allowing us to hunt longer and be more comfy. We havewarmers, gps units and aerial/satelite photosto help us scout an areamiles from a road and can take us back to the exact location at anytime. We have some very good scent-killing products, that makes us a more effective hunter.

And we have forums like these where a person can learn a lot about our sport.

I'm not saying we have to take advantage of these technologies to be a good hunter, but it certainly helps IMO.

The list just goes on and on, and I think if a hunter is more effective, he is therefore a better hunter.

I agree with you hillbilly archer
Old 02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

i am loving the technology....trail cams, faster bows, scent sprays, etc....i have no problem with it
Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think some of it has been good, the scent control and advances in bow/arrow/broadhead technology. Advancing so far that your sight is a rangefinder, your trail cam emails you pictures at home, I'm not fond of. Look where the trail cams took our sport, to the point where you can click and shoot a buck from your home office. Not that everyone uses them this way, it just made it possible.

Quick Reply: Is techhology good for our sport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.