Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Proud dad

Old 02-23-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Proud dad

My 12 year old son expressed to me that he wants to shoot a bow to! So I'm taking him over to Bass Pro tomorrow so he can try all of the different youth bows and see what feels best to him. So far in my mind the Edge is the leading candidate but it will be up to him. I can't wait to see him shoot one for the first time also.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Proud dad

Awesome.!!..you savor those memories...My 2.5 year old girl is shooting a suction cup bow...thats the best I can do for now!
Old 02-23-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thats awesome have a great time doing so. I remember doing exactly the same thing with my son at bass pro several years ago. He ended up with a PSE nova AC. it was a good bow, and not to pricy to get him under way.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:35 PM

Well I took him up to Bass Pro only to find out that they were holding hunters safety courses in the archery range area all day. I'm a little upset with their customer service now because when I called to set up an appointment for today they said not to worry and just come on in. Well that's what I did and got screwed. And get this, the best thing they could do was give me two free passes to the 25 yard rifle range! [:@] Chyea, like I'm going to bring my 7 mag to shoot only 25 yards! A little disappointed but we will just have to wait until later in the week I guess.....
Old 02-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

sounds like a bad place to host a hunter ed class? in the bow range? find a corner somewhere in the building!
Old 02-24-2008, 05:18 PM

Congrats. That is great for both of you. Nothing like quality time together doing an outdoor activity. For what it's worth Bowtech makes a good youth bow under their Diamond line (it might be The Edge, I don't remember). It's about $300. Good luck with whatever you do.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Well he at least got to hold the different bows today and the front runner thus far is the Edge. I don't know if he simply has good taste in bows or if he wants to be just like dad?

I have a sneaking suspicion he will be coming home with a 30 - 40 lb Diamond Edge. Heck, I might as well just buy it tomorrow!

Right now his peak weight that he can pull back is 30 lbs though. Because he plays his PSP too much. Partially my fault because I work too much and the neighborhood was bad for playing. But now we are in a nice sub division with a wide open field where he can shoot all day if he wants to. So, would it be safe to buy a 30 to 40 pound bow and un crank it down to about 25 for a comfortable shot? I don't want to scare him out of the sport but at the same time, I feel confident that he can develope his mucsles in time for practice and hunting season the more excercise that he gets and also if I get him one of those three nuckle releases that won't let the string go.